Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6, 2016 Malibu 1.5T
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was told I had a cracked flywheel, I went out to a junkyard and they gave me the flywheel.
Uppon taking it to the mechanic he told me he believes my car has a dual mass flywheel, and I told him I think those are only for the cts-v

Here is a picture of the part, its not the actual part, but when I googled 2005 cts 3.6 flywheel this is what I got, and it looks exactly like the part I was given.

can anyone confirm this is the cars flywheel? I am not missing any other parts? its not a several piece setup?

Thanks for everyones help, I want to get this sorted out before the tranny is dropped to do the swap.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V automatic
307 Posts
That's flexplate (not a flywheel) for use with an automatic transmission. The torque converter bolts to it, so no friction surface for a clutch plate to use.

ALL manual transmission CTS's from the factory use a dual mass flywheel. They are not cheap.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,804 Posts
Not to add to the confusion. But what if the OP has an automatic transmission? Would what the OP has pictured be correct?

KOY

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes KOT correct, I have an automatic transmission, I believe my mechanic was hoping to see a what is for a manual transmission, he looked up the flywheel or flex plate on auto zone and the part was for 600 dollars. but it showed many different parts.

I asked for a flywheel/flex plate or whatever was in between the transmission and the engine and this is what I got.

I was told this is the cause for a sound that I get on my car sometimes when completely stopped, and when off the gas and slowing down from 40 to 0. Sounds like metal hitting a bolt and the speed gets slower as I slow down and stops when in complete stop. Sounds like marbles in a can.

·
Registered
2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2
526 Posts
Can anyone explain what exactly is broken to cause that marble in a can sound? Is it an actual bolt that has come loose and is just rattling around in between the torque converter and the rear of the engine or does the flex plate itself crack.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mechanic believed it was a loose bolt, he then removed the starter and rotated the engine crankshaft to inspect the flexplate and said he saw a crack, the transmission has yet not been taken off but the car basicly sounds like it has an exhaust leak, changing the car from park to drive and reverse will stop the metal on metal sound.

Thanks for everyones support

·
Registered
629 Posts
Static1120 said:
Mechanic believed it was a loose bolt, he then removed the starter and rotated the engine crankshaft to inspect the flexplate and said he saw a crack, the transmission has yet not been taken off but the car basicly sounds like it has an exhaust leak, changing the car from park to drive and reverse will stop the metal on metal sound. Thanks for everyones support
sounds about right. I agree w KOT as well.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
110 Posts
The flex plate looks correct, but I have a question. Why would the noise stop when the vehicle is put in gear? The engine and the flex plate and torque converter are still turning. Just wondering?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It varies a lot. the sound can change patterns, upon cold start up the sound will not be noticeable until the rpm drop to idle of 600-800 rpms. Putting the car in reverse will pause the clanking for a second and the clanking will change to a higher paced clicking. driving up to speed the clicking will be heard up until around 30 mph, letting go of the gas will create the sound. and slowing down you will be able to hear the clicking clanking noise, Imagine a bolt hitting the fan. as the car slows down the clicking slows down. and sometimes, usually all the time when the car is at full stop the clicking sound will go away.

I have driven my car around 2 weeks like this, the only change was that the very first few days the sound would never go away even when coming to a complete stop. hatted stopping next to cars in traffic with my car making the noise.
Eventually after around 2-3 days the sound would only be heard while slowing down under 30 mph and stop when I came to a complete stop (sometimes but very rare now, the sound may stay doing a clicking noise while the car is stopped.)

Thanks again everyone tried to make this post very detailed to get the best ideas out there.
Mechanic is going to charge me $300 to drop the transmission and replace the flex plate, I hope this is the issue, and would hate if it was a wrong diagnosis and my transmission is bad/ or just a simple fix)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts