Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! 馃憢
I'm from Florida and I've never experienced rust. I got a great deal on 2009 Cadillac Escalade EXT and its life was primarily in a Northern state. Very well taken care of with maintenance. But of course, has rust (as expected). Can someone with experience tell me if this is "normal" wear and tear or something more serious? [Because let's be real: this is considered an old car and has lived all its life near MN.] Any help or advice is sincerely appreciated!

Registered
2008 Escalade ESV 2WD 6.2
Hi everyone! 馃憢
I'm from Florida and I've never experienced rust. I got a great deal on 2009 Cadillac Escalade EXT and it's life was primarily in a Northern state. Very well taken care of with maintenance. But of course, has rust (as expected). Can someone with experience tell me if this is normal ware and tear or something more serious? Any help or advice is sincerely appreciated! View attachment 599008
You sound like you think some level of rust is "normal" and acceptable. Only people from rust belt states think.like that. Never buy used cars with any sort of rust! All that "well taken care of" foolishness is voided by rust. Get your wallet handy you are in for some expenses.
BTW, as one who has lived and shopped for used cars in FL, it is a place that is crawling with deceptive cars and requires triple the amount of scrutiny of buying cars in the SW. It is very easy to get taken in FL.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Surprisingly (or not) this was not purchased from FL; from my understanding, any vehicle that must be driven in the winter in mid-Northern states experiences iced roads with salt. If this is 2009, which has below average but normal drive time, spent most of its time outside, would this amount of rust be considered normal for this situation? Or is this beyond repair? Just trying to learn something new, especially for future purchases!

Mine is a 2008 and does not look like this.
Has yours spent most of its time during the winter on salted roads?

Oooof!!! Yeah, that sucks.
Ahhh! This is what I had feared. >.< I talked to someone native to Utah and they mentioned their vehicles are all underneath covered in rust - especially older ones due to the winter weather. Of course if the vehicle has been garage kept, there would be an expectation of less rust.

Registered
2010 Escalade ESV & 2007 DTS
Since you are in FL now, always buy local only. So many clean cars down here. Even our Escalade which is primarily been in VA and has 235k on it is super clean compared to that. Granted we wash off the bottom after and snow/salt which helps as well.

Once you go rusty, you never go back! Expect anything on the bottom to take twice as long as it should. Stock up on PB Blaster and anti-seize paste when wrenching!

Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
That鈥檚 surface rust. It鈥檚 so aggressive and so absent in different areas that it looks like the truck belonged to a snow bird.

My 08 Denali XL was rust free and lived between OR and CA before I owned it. Our 09 Escalade ESV is a TX only truck and has minor surface rust on the pulleys and a few engine accessories.

What you鈥檙e looking at is also the absence any oil or fluid leaks too. Our local Costco used to spray a wheel cleaner on with a bug sprayer. It unfortunately had the side effect of eating the paint off the calipers and severely pitting them. They paid a lot of people for new calipers and brake components.

Looking at that now, it seems like someone religiously degreased the underbody with an acid based cleaner NOT designed for cars. Who knows? My Dad used to wash his cars with kerosene because it got the bugs off. It had an unusual side effect of removing the paint after five years. Add face palm here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
That rust is quite advanced in places, especially in welded sandwich assemblies.

Get the vehicle up on a 4-point lift, wire brush as much as you can then coat it all with a quality rust converter (tannic acid) that covers, converts, and stops rust. Then, after a couple of days, go wild with rattle cans of Rustoleum semi-gloss black.

Registered
Cadillac
Fluid Film does wonders also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts