Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '92 Sedan deVille, 112,670 miles, and lately I've noticed that It's been leaking quite a bit of coolant, and my father (who's a diesel mechanic, and is quite good around cars) told me that he thought that there was a small pore by the serpentine belt that was spraying coolant. So, I was wondering if this was really the cause. I work in a Nissan dealership, so today, I had them take a look at my car to verify thats where it was coming from. It turns out we had the wrong idea:banghead:

When they got it up on the lift, they could see quite a bit of oil, coolant and transmission fluid all over the passenger's side of the motor. (the front end) I mean I took a look at it and I was stunned to see how much was actually down there. Thin layers of oil were covering everything below the top half of the engine. I never imagined it could be this bad, I saw some coolant down there too, and there was some tranny fluid visible around the tranny pan gasket. And my oil pan gasket was leaking too, there was oil all over that. And there was oil on top of the motor, right around the intake manifold :(

My service writer told me at the very least that I would need a Valve Cover Gasket, Intake Manifold Gasket, Oil Pan Gasket, and a Transmission Pan Gasket. He estimated to replace the Intake Manifold Gasket alone would cost me about $700, because apparently, on the 4.9's thats a pain in the ass to do.

He said, all together, with parts and labor. This is gonna be around $800-$900. The parts are cheap, the labor is expensive. But I am sure glad that I work here because they only charge employees $50 an hour for labor versus the $100 an hour they charge customers :)

I paid $3750 for this car, I might be able to trade it in for $2500, Is it worth fixing this problem? Or should I trade it ASAP?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
I have a '92 Sedan deVille, 112,670 miles, and lately I've noticed that It's been leaking quite a bit of coolant, and my father (who's a diesel mechanic, and is quite good around cars) told me that he thought that there was a small pore by the serpentine belt that was spraying coolant. So, I was wondering if this was really the cause. I work in a Nissan dealership, so today, I had them take a look at my car to verify thats where it was coming from. It turns out we had the wrong idea:banghead:

When they got it up on the lift, they could see quite a bit of oil, coolant and transmission fluid all over the passenger's side of the motor. (the front end) I mean I took a look at it and I was stunned to see how much was actually down there. Thin layers of oil were covering everything below the top half of the engine. I never imagined it could be this bad, I saw some coolant down there too, and there was some tranny fluid visible around the tranny pan gasket. And my oil pan gasket was leaking too, there was oil all over that. And there was oil on top of the motor, right around the intake manifold :(

My service writer told me at the very least that I would need a Valve Cover Gasket, Intake Manifold Gasket, Oil Pan Gasket, and a Transmission Pan Gasket. He estimated to replace the Intake Manifold Gasket alone would cost me about $700, because apparently, on the 4.9's thats a pain in the ass to do.

He said, all together, with parts and labor. This is gonna be around $800-$900. The parts are cheap, the labor is expensive. But I am sure glad that I work here because they only charge employees $50 an hour for labor versus the $100 an hour they charge customers :)

I paid $3750 for this car, I might be able to trade it in for $2500, Is it worth fixing this problem? Or should I trade it ASAP?
If you do everything mechanics tell to you you gonna hate that car soon...Oil on the top is likely from the oil filter adapter. You can replace the tranny pan gasket, ATF and filter yourself. i would first address coolant loss, the rest does not seem serious to me at all. Let it leak oil lil bit.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I see what you're saying. The tranny pan gasket's leak is caused by me. Me and a couple of buddies replaced my tranny filter, ATF, and pan gasket back in January for my auto mechanics class. If I hadn't done that, I don't think that it would be leaking.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
All the oil you see on the engine is probably the accumulation of YEARS of dripping. All these old Caddys leak.
Too expensive? It really depends on how much you like the car. You'll never get that money back - if it was worth 2500 before you discovered this, it'll be worth 2500 after you fix it.
Have you ever noticed coolant in the oil? It will make the oil look like cream of mushroom soup. That's a more serious problem than leaks, and must be addressed quickly.
I agree with adella - fix the coolant issue and let the oil drip. Before you spend the money on gaskets, try changing the coolant using the exact process described in your owners manual, and use the GM coolant tabs. If the leak isn't too far advanced, that might just fix it.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, I've never found coolant in my oil, thank god. You guys don't think I should get my Intake Manifold Gasket fixed? That's a problem I've seen since we got the car. There is coolant pooling up on top of my Intake Manifold, I know that can't be good.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
I bet the transmission pan was tightened WAY too much when you guys put it back on... you just wanna bring that up snug otherwise it'll crush the gasket... and leak.

my Coupe has trans fluid and oil under everything.... dunno where the trans fluid came from, isn't leaking.... but the oil has a leak from around the external oil cooler lines.

intake manifold gasket shoudln't be a $700 job.... I was close to removing the intake manifold when I switched fuel injectors.... by close, I mean the only other thing I had to do was unbolt the thing.

I would be hesistant for the Nissan guys to diagnose a Caddy..... the cars are pretty different, and what would normally go wrong on a Nissan may not on the Caddy.....

if it is coming from the front of the engine... maybe the water pump needs to be replaced, the coolant could very well be leaking from the weep hole, early sign of w/p failure.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
First determine where the coolant is coming from. It could be leaking around your thermostat housing, water pump, or the hose. When my intake gaskets failed, coolant sprayed out of it like a monsoon rain. I'm still cleaning it off the fender wells.

Try the coolant change with GM sealer first. If that doesn't stop the leak, then you can get into the gaskets. It's a big job, but from what I've read here, it's more time consuming than difficult. If your dad has engine experience he should be able to help you do it yourself. Buy a factory service manual for your car off eBay - it'll pay for itself many times over.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Coolant can leak from loose hose connections, from cracked heater valve (the plasic T on the top of the engine). Open the hood and increase the RPMs say to 3000 holding up the throttle blades by means of the lever which rests on the plunger coming from ISC motor. Watch carefully all the mentioned places for coolant coming out under increased pressure due to high RPMs.

Here is the cooling system.

Attachments

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice and info! Adalla, when I change my oil tomorrow, I'll raise up RPM's and check the points you mentioned. I would like to get a coolant change done soon too. I'll probably have them do it at work. God I am glad I got hired there :) And If that's still leaking, then we'll know this is pretty bad. So the first thing I should look at is the water pump? And then look around my thermostat housing, and the coolant hose? And then if thats all good, I'll check gaskets. Hoping for the best!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Water pump gasket can leak too. I have noticed a leak from my T two years ago only under high RPMs! A tiny crack in plastic. Had to replace. I can see some coolant coming out of my waterpupm gasket under some 3500 RPM. But I rarely get that point under normal driving conditions, so I do not care.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A water pump or a water pump gasket is nothing for me to get worried about. It's regular maintenace from my understanding. And seeing as how my car is at the point where stuff needs replacing. A water pump is perfectly normal. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts