Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK everyone, this one may be a little tricky…. I’d like to know….

Is it possible to upgrade the “options” on an older Cadillac…. Say…
A 1988 Cadillac Sedan Deville ?

I’d like to have the twilight sentinel, power passenger seats, (reclining too) as well as the mirrors you find in the fleetwoods…( you know... the rear passenger vanity mirrors) the nice lil trash can that goes in passenger area… all those nice little touches that made it feel better.

My 88 deville has 175,000 miles on it now, and is still a daily driver. It’s got power everything (don’t most?) except the passenger seat is manual forward and back, but no power anything. I’d like the auto headlights and the dimming inside lights….

So…

What would I need to buy? Or look for. Is it possible to add these things? you think I can go to the dealer and they’ll have the items? (* LOL im kidding….. or am i? )

Thanks everyone, and help is Greatly appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There is a way to do everything if you're willing to put some work into it. JC Whitney has alot of add ons like what your talking about. Don't know much about the quality because I have never done those.

Dealer would have parts for other year models. You would have to find something that fits.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Start going to junk yards and look for other cars like yours that have that stuff. Then you can get all the parts you need and it will still all look factory. I thought they all had that garbage can. Maybe the last person who owned it took it out and lost it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was gonna go, but im sure ineed more then just the dash components correct? what parts do i have to dig for?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just completed re doing the whole interior of my 89 deville with that of an 88 fleetwood and some parts from the junkyard. I it is very doable, the only thing to consider really, is the carpet and rear doors which are going to be diffrent between 86-88, and the later 89-93s because of their longer length.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Okay, you are going to need a little help, so let me tell you the low down. First off, it is MUCH EASIER if you find a Caddie with the dash you want, with all the goodies you want than to put them in piecemeal. I literaly took the whole dash of a Fleetwood with all the goodies I wanted and transplated. The reason why is because the whole dash as a big unit comes apart easily being that there are just 3 harnesses pluging everything into the car. Second, The motorized seat, that is a pain. If you study the car, you will find that the harness plugs into what I can only describe as large clip on connectors where a bunch of stuff shares the same ground, Vcc, etc. The pins on the go to the plug on the door controls have to he slid through the rubber gromet that protetcs the harness. I did it by pulling the pins out then putting them back in one I got all the wires through the opening. What a pain. Learn from me, just keep track of them, label them, cut them, and them splice. AS for the wires top to the top vanity mirrors, and the rear ones as well, follow the lines, note the orange and black color that then are. the connect to more of those large plastic connectors I described before that exististed for the power seat. That should help you out a little, and one last thing. If you put those vanity mirrors in the back, bring the headlined into the car in two pieces, not one. just another little thing I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome! now i've got someplace to start... i have no issue working around the dash as i had to rebuild it when some lil buggers tried to steal it, rewired atleast 75% of the wires in there.... might make it harder to wrire it but hey, atleast i know i can do it now! THANK YOU!!! ill let you guys know how it works out... but what pieces do i need for twilight...... :)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Grab the photocell, amplifier (little white box), adjustment knob, and to make your life easier, the prewired headlight switch.

Note: this is more than doable, I install these on cars other than Cadillacs. Grab them up from the junkyard, and resell them. Ditto the express down modules too. You can make all the windows in the car express down if you want....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok well here's the follow up. thanks to everyone who answered... Especially David S. he was kind enough to email me the schematic for both auto headlights and non auto headlights... i grabbed the item(s) out of a junkyard 88 deville with that option, and wired up exactly as he said... only problem is when my car got broken into, i forgot that i had re-wired every ignition wire in there so it would be harder to steal again.... once i ran the amplifier's ign wire to the alarm's ign wire, lights work perfectly. the auto mirror i have is from a 90 fleetwood, and i do not have the wires that go to it on my 88.. im thinking the 88 did not have auto mirror (rearview) as an option. the rear pilliar lights (inside) with the reading lamp button installed perfectly, plug and play. thanks for all the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
kingphil69