Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so I decided to take a better look throughout the engine and noticed a few strange things. I have noticed that my oil seems to be at the halfway mark, and I am halfway between changes. I don't think I am burning oil. I have noticed some build up on the hoses though. Could it be that the oil is weeping through or spilling onto the hoses? I have not noticed any puddles under my car.

You can see some fluid built up around there. The color of the fluid there is different than what's on my dipstick (dipstick is more green...you can see this fluid is more of a brown/red) Is that an oil line? Is it possible that i'm losing oil through there?

That is the "wettest" point I found on my car. I have found other points which are really dirty, and it looks like oil might've been on there and dried up or something. A lot of dirt is built up, and when I run my finger on it, my finger ends up with a real black color...like carbon.

I believe that hose was in front of the radiator on the driver side.

More of the same, but over by the battery.

By the battery again.

Here's how my pans look. My tranny level is fine.

In front of the passenger side tire, I noticed these two wires hanging loose. What's the deal with these?

Mysterious build up in coolant tank. I think the PO might have put the tabs inside the tank? I just want to make sure.

Over by the bottom pulley there's this weird bolt like object. I get paranoid that thing is going to fall out and rip that system apart. I tried pulling it out with a magnet but it seemed stuck. Seems weird for something like that to be hanging out there.

Sorry for the long post, but this stuff is bugging me, and I don't trust Chicago mechanics too much.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac Deville 50th Anniversary /1975 Eldo Convt.
8 Posts
I would say the first picture is transmission cooling lines leaking. I have had this problem on my Eldo when I bought it. The buildup on the bottom of the engine could be a factor of the tranny fluid leaking. You cannot tell until you have the first leak fixed and clean the engine well.

Are there any visible spots under the car where you park it. Perhaps put a piece of cardboard under it to find out where your leak is.

The buildup in the tank looks like someone had some old antifreeze in it at one time. May be time to have the antifreeze changed.

Lastly, the "bolt" near the pulley I am fairly sure it should be there. If it is on the crankshaft pulley, It has something to do with timing I believe.

If I am wrong, Someone here will correct me.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
the "bolt" is not really a bolt. It is actually a "magnetic timing probe hole". Clean off all the grunge and you will miraculously see the timing marks right next to the "bolt" to time the engine. Lol! I thought exactly the same thing as you at first -dangerous! Until I read the FSM it explains the "magnetic timing probe hole assembly for use with special electronic timing equipment." For us little people tho', timing is done with a strobe light.

I'd be concerned about those wires. IDK what they are but get them up and away from your tire or anything moving. Looks kind of like light sockets but again IDK.

One more thing, on your oil pans, you might want to tighten the bolts all around, it might help keep the oil from seeping.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the help thus far guys.

Fiddling around with the headlights, I discovered those wires connect to the sides of the headlight housing and the park/turn signal housing. Both of them were removed on my passenger side headlights, but it did nothing. Headlights work the same without them. Weird things.

There's no visible spots under my car. Dry as a rock, even after I let the car sit for a day. I'll try the cardboard thing though

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
Those wires are actually fiber optic cables that connect to the lights and activate the tell-tale lights that let you know that your headlights and turn signals are working. Those tell-tale lights are located in the "fins" on your front fenders. When they are illuminated, it means your lights are all working.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,119 Posts
Picture #1 looks like trans fluid. The gunk in the tank is sealant tab residual.

·
Registered
2001 DeVille DHS
46 Posts
I loved the fiber optic telltale lights on my 77..they came in handy many a time. Clean them up well and reconnect them..I think they are the coolest feature that Cadillacs have..I wish they wouldnt have stopped using them.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
I agree, I really wish they'd bring them back.

Oh yeah and clean up that car. It's a mess. :halo:
I loved the fiber optic telltale lights on my 77..they came in handy many a time. Clean them up well and reconnect them..I think they are the coolest feature that Cadillacs have..I wish they wouldnt have stopped using them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts