Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - I've been through the wringer on the cooling system - have replaced the thermostat, radiator cap and water pump, flushed the system, re-filled with coolant, gotten the air out of it, used the sealant - after the WP puked I became a bit anal retentive about the condition of the cooling system (I never paid any attention to it before I got the "coolant hot idle engine" message on the display) and I noticed for the past few days the temp will go up to 208 then down to 199 over and over again. If I were to graph the temp changes it'd be a really nice, constant wave.
I suspect that were I using an analog gauge rather than a digital one I'd not notice the change - it would just be a slight movement of the needle - but hey - I figured I'd ask - that's what the board is for - right?

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
I suspect you are correct about the difference between anolog and digital. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it is in that (normal) range.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thanks folks - guess I'll take my wifes advice and just switch to something interesting - like the oil life index - and watch that change - from now on!
I'll keep an occasional eye on it - given the cars age and all - but again - thanks for the information - nice to know when your vehicles behavior isn't - how should one say it - um - unique - yeah - that's the term!

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
The small change in temp is probably from the cooling fans cycling on and off. I wouldn't worry about it unless it got to 230 or more.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's interesting (at least to me) - in the morning it'll heat up to 216 then plummet to 190 - then gradually come back up to around 200 - I attribute this to the thermostat waking up and the coolant starting to flow.
Sitting in traffic it'll get up to 216/217 but then cool right down when I start
moving.
I've replaced everything in the cooling system except the radiator, heater core and engine block ... yesterday morning a "T" fitting used for flushing the system decided to break so once again I got to replace the coolant.
With luck all will hold - at least until spring - it's starting to get a bit cold outside to be working on cars here in Pennsylvania .... (my garage is occupied - no room for the caddy - "project 550" on one side, "project sidevalve" on the other - workbench and other stuff in between).

cheers

Steve

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
My '94 4.9 when cold will warm up to 230-235, then drop quick to 200-204. I also think it is the thermostat opening up.

·
Registered
1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles
368 Posts
SteveThefolkie said:
it's interesting (at least to me) - in the morning it'll heat up to 216 then plummet to 190 - then gradually come back up to around 200 - I attribute this to the thermostat waking up and the coolant starting to flow.
Sitting in traffic it'll get up to 216/217 but then cool right down when I start
moving.

Steve
Mine does the same in the AM. I attribute it to the engine not being fully warmed up. After a run nad the mill is really warm, it seems to stabilize.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts