Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1992 Sedan deVille, and i was looking to get a few more guages in it. I have seen this done before, so i know its possible. I would like to get a Tachometer, Oil Pressure guage, and temp guage. I would have an "A-pillar pod" installed. Do you think this is a good idea or a dumb idea?

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Are you going for a ricer look? If you are looking to make it look muscle, My opinion would be to put under dash gauges.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
Uh,

I think that additional gauges are a good idea, though an A piller multi-pod may look a bit strange in a Caddy. I would agree with Eldyfig that under dash gauges would look nicer - though this is purely my subjective opinion based on what I like. Threre was someone on here with a Fleetwood Brougham a while back who had done an A-pillar pod gauge setup, it looked pretty good for what it was and the install was total quality, just looked out of place IMHO. Of course, he had made it into a sleeper, with engine mods and a console shift...Man, a D-body with a floor shifter? Now that takes serious skills!

My approach to this is to build a console to house my additional gauges (already in the works) that will sit beneath the center dash and over the transmission hump. I've got my basoc design, but the implementation (trying to make it look factory, in fit and finish) is proving to be a LOT of work.

All depends on how much work you're looking to put into it. An a pillar install would probably be a bit easier from a fabrication standpoint, though the wiring might be a bit more difficult.

KDirk

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait, do you mean he did a D body front wheel drive Fleetwood or a B body RWD Fleetwood Brougham?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I Do agree, although functional, kids with honda civics, who put in $10 and not hook them up or add indiglo have ruined this perfectly funtional idea. I too would like to add gauges to my 91 deville and would to the pillar, but my pilars are covered in white cloth. APC makes a box that you can put 2 or 3 gauges in, then mount that on top of or under the dash for a cleaner look than the typical chrome gauge holder. Im not sure how you would run a temp gauge, and that would be the most important one on this car, cause i believe that the Coolant temperature sensor and sending unit are one on this car, so you couldnt just pull then gauge aending unit ant install your own, you may have to buy one of those couplers and insert in a section of radiator hose. When buyin gauges i would try to buy ones with electric sending units, so you dont have to pipe in oil and a copper sensor for the temp. If you are gonna do this, do it right, theres not a bigger drag than when those oil pressure gauges leak oil on nice interior. And remember this car probably wont put out more than 35psi oil pressure so dont buy a gauge that reads to 100, it would be silly to only see it go 1/3 of the way up at most.

-The Cadillac Rancher

·
Registered
1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi
896 Posts
Here are some pics of my 87 deville. On the TACH pillar, i hid the screws wen i replaced the cloth, i put the c;oth over the bracket. I cut two slits and that is all, that is an old pic. All of the bottom 3 guages are ELECTRIC, mechanical oil press guage and temp is NOT as accurate!!!!

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool, you have the same color interior as i do

·
Registered
1991 Deville
11 Posts
yes it is! I know mine isnt much professional but I think it looks sweet, works great, and was easy to install.. you wont see me drilling or screwing holes into my car... just used dubble sided sticky tape from 3M you can tell when your car shifts so you get the best gas milage and least work on your car :yup:

Attachments

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats a good design, subtle, small, right in your line of vision

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
A buddy just called me and asked if I can help him with guess what...a cracked line inside the cab of his truck going to a mechanical...are you ready...oil gauge.

It happens. Make sure those gauges use signal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts