Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m gettting a 2008
escalade esv
Fully loaded-remote start, captain chairs. Cooked hearted seats, 3 TVs, black inside and out, reverse camera , sunroof all the bells and whistles.
This weekend it’s getting transmission and engine mounts replace.
Also getting a transmission flush too.
It looks new inside and out. Garage kept.
I’m paying $10k and it has 160k miles

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ben:
Congrats on what looks like a well kept '08. I would discourage a trans flush, and instead do a drain/refill/filter change. Hopefully they will go back in with oem spec fluid, and not some sort of one size fits all crap. At 160K, it should be on its 2nd set of plugs, as well as 2nd round of fresh coolant. If not, I would add those to your short list along with some good synthetic gear oil like Mobil 1 for the differentials.

Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ben:
Congrats on what looks like a well kept '08. I would discourage a trans flush, and instead do a drain/refill/filter change. Hopefully they will go back in with oem spec fluid, and not some sort of one size fits all crap. At 160K, it should be on its 2nd set of plugs, as well as 2nd round of fresh coolant. If not, I would add those to your short list along with some good synthetic gear oil like Mobil 1 for the differentials.
Don
TY. Appreciate all that.
But
What do u mean good oil for The differentials? What’s the differentials?
like oil for the engine? Or oil for the transmission refill?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,104 Posts
N8ECH recommended ???

TY. Appreciate all that.
But
What do u mean good oil for The differentials? What’s the differentials?
like oil for the engine? Or oil for the transmission refill?
"Differential" as in: The system that drives one or both axles depending on wheel loads. The big bulgy thing in the middle of the rear axle housing; inside the front axle/transfer case. For a RWD vehicle the drive shaft/universal attaches to the differential pinion yoke.

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,480 Posts
Looks nice! Do the trans flush. People that say not to are thinking of the early pressure flush systems. No reputable shop has used those in years. The new machines use the vehicle's own pump to move the fluid and are thoroughly cleaned to prevent cross contamination.

·
Registered
1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade
1,287 Posts
Don’t do a transmission flush or you will need a transmission soon. I have a 2008 Escalade with the same miles. Look at the color of the transmission fluid. It has been said even on this site not to change the transmission fluid. Ask any real transmission shop and they will tell you not too.

·
Registered
2004 ESV
873 Posts
What does the interior look like? $10k seems like a good deal, but it depends on condition of the car.

Also, I've never heard anyone say to not change transmission fluid. Maybe it doesn't need a flush, but pulling the pan and doing a drain and refill with a filter change should be done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like a very nice truck! Check to see if the heated/cooled seats work, and cruise control. Those are common issues, easily fixed, but could be bargaining tools if they dont. Looks sharp!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts