Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few weeks I have written several blogs on Allards from the UK some of which were fitted with Caddy motors and some with Fords and some who's motors have been swapped around from one manufacturer to another and back again.

When these vehicles were imported into the USA they often came sans motor so that the new owner could have his/her own preference installed when it arrived. One such instance is with the Allard J2 linked here owned by Bell Auto Parts owner and Cafifornia Allard distributor Roy Richter, I have seen reports that this was a Caddy motor and others that it was a Ford wonder if anyone could be kind enough to definitively ID the type motor
one way or the other ?

Finally would the motor linked above be the same, actual or type, as seen linked here ?

All relevant answers may be credited and used in a forthcoming blog.

Thanking you in anticipation of your responses.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Im a GM guy but let me take a crack at this. Ford didnt get an Overhead Valve V-8 until 52 for trucks and 54 for cars. In 49 Cadillac and Olds both produced an OHV 8, 303 for Olds and 331 for Cadillac. I believe the picture you have posted is of a 331 Cadillac, if my choices can only be Ford or Cadillac.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The best information I have is that the choices are Ford or Cadillac Mr Holland. The Cragar History page, paragraph 18, mentions that Roy mounted a 'souped up' Ford Flathead in a J2 and won a race with it, but the motor in the link looks as you have confirmed more like the Cadillac 331. Of course it could be that we are not
looking at the motor Roy Richter raced with which I have until now assumed correctly or incorrectly to be the case. Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Squatty because Flatheads have no valve cover, and the plugs are in the top of the heads also. This is an ohv engine which was not offered by ford at this time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
MrHolland