Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Deville, 2004 Cadillac DTS, 2011 CTS AWD Coupe
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all 4 new tires. I got a flat today and the aaa man noticed that my right front tire should be on the left and the left front tire on the right...i guess they are different.

My question is, is having that reversed very bad for the tires?

Thanks!

·
Registered
02' Deville (H.G. club-sold) 02 DTS black on black
62 Posts
if your tires have a direction they will have an arrow on them. and yea the car will handle weird

·
Registered
2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.
122 Posts
Sickandtwysted is correct. If the tires are unidirectional they can only be swapped with the other tire on the same side. Traction will be affected especially in the rain/snow. I'd check the rear tires also they could be wrong as well.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
Here is my scoop on this. Tires are designed to give your car a way to roll down the road and get you from point A to point B no matter which tire and how it is mounted. Now depending on the different tires out in the world your car will handle differently depending on the width or structure of the tire for different conditions. Tires are tires and no matter which direction you have them the handling of the car will be pretty much the same on dry roads, but the threats were designed to channel water out of the tire path to give you more contact on the road so the direction will make a difference in that aspect. Like the previous post said they do have directional arrows and they are placed there for a reason. Although not following that arrow will NOT cause your car to shake, rattle, or give you poor milage it will affect your point of contact to the road and may cause hydroplaneing on wet roads. Plus, it does make your threads point in one direction and look better...:thumbsup:

So to answer your question yes it does make a difference on some conditions but it does not affect your car in any way.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,072 Posts
I had a Mazda RX-7 Turbo that had tires that were directional and the wheels themselves had casting marks that said "left" and"right". Because I had both winter and summer tires that I swapped out with the season changes, I also kept track of the tire positions and did the rotations at the same time as well. All it required was marking the tire with it's current position with a tire crayon when it was removed for the swap and a little record keeping.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have directional Avon tires on my DeVille. I took it to the dealership and told them three times "these are directional tires." Sure enough, they did it wrong and the front tires were on backwards; figures! I took it back and they took care of it. So yes, a bad tire rotation can happen. Next time you have the tires rotated, mark one with chalk or a crayon as previously suggested and check it after they are done.
As stated above, you will not hurt anything critical, but you will notice a big difference in the rain/ice/snow as I did on the way back home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts