Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS, 2011 CTS Coupe
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A non mechanic way of getting the thermostat un stuck? I'm hearing that poeple are getting the P0128C code ( I think that's it ) including myself - and was wondering if there is a easy fix?

·
Registered
2003 CTS, 2011 CTS Coupe
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea how to do this lol- I can change the tires and that's about it

·
Registered
2006 CTS sport model/package
1,058 Posts
rodrigo23 said:
I have no idea how to do this lol- I can change the tires and that's about it
Do a search for changing spark plugs. This will show you how to get the plenum off, change the plugs and you can get the thermostat off. If you aren't comfortable with it then go get it done. When you get the T-stat done get them to do the plugs too!!

·
Registered
2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
1,017 Posts
Intake doesnt have to come off to do the spark plugs on a 3.2. I'm mechanically inclined and the thermostat took just under 4 hours, is not fun at all.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt
244 Posts
Complete pain in the rear. I'm in the middle of it right now (along with timing belt, spark plugs, waterpump, valve cover gaskets). It's no fun working on this car. I wouldn't pay a dealer to do all this though.

Do you have a CTS-V grille, or stock? Just curious. My car throws a P0128 when it's cold outside (40 degrees or below, which doesn't happen all that often in my part of Texas), I have a V grille. My car runs just fine otherwise. When I pulled the thermostat, it looked just fine, and was closed when I pulled it. I replaced it anyway. My bet is that your thermostat is fine, and it's just a characteristic of this car.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS , Sport Package
111 Posts
I would disagree, if it's that cold outside your car would not reach it's operating temperature of 160 deg. That's why your getting the P0128 code. You can't really tell if the thermostat is bad by just looking at it. It's not realy the bad to replace the thermostat just have all your parts, tool and instruction (just look it up on here) before you do and don't forget to get the two oring replacement for the coolent outlet pipe. If you need to replace your spark plugs or valve cover seal this would be the best time. Just take your time a weekend would be best.

·
Registered
04 CTS
26 Posts
Your V grill has nothing to do with it a P0128 is a code set because the ECT hasn't got to a specific temp by a specific time frame. In other works the engine is not heating up fast enough. If you go through the flow chart, which you should, you will find that the first logical step is to replace the Thermostat, especially if it hasn't been done in a while.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
100 Posts
yea loooolllll if your getting the thermostat done and you have to remove the plenum you might aswell change spark plugz and add a Iceolator

1 - 15 of 15 Posts