Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 STS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, I'm trying to figure out if the transmission on my 2000 STS has a drain plug or if I need to remove an oil pan to change the tranny fluid?

Is it possible to change the tranny fluid at home in my driveway or will I need to take it in. Any info would be most appreciated. Thank you.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,006 Posts
Less than 100,000 non-towing miles don't sweat it.

The car has to either go up on a lift or jackstands. Big drain pan. Loosen pan bolts. Mess. Unless you completely remove the pan and then the drain plug in the side of the internal sump you won't get more than 1/3 of the fluid out. Drain the internal tank and you get 2/3. Clean the pan and the magnetic disc on the pan. Bolt it all back together and replace exactly what you drained, volume-wise.

The 4T80E is a dry sump transmission, so NO fluid will show on the dipstick with the engine off. The engine MUST be running, the car level, in P, warm in order to get a proper level. Fill only to halfway up the dipstick hashmark. Check it again after a week, engine running.

Got $140 ?? Have a GM dealer do it. That way ALL the fluid gets changed with vacuum machines and you have somewhere to go if something isn't right...........

·
Registered
1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)
1,702 Posts
Less than 100,000 non-towing miles don't sweat it.

The car has to either go up on a lift or jackstands. Big drain pan. Loosen pan bolts. Mess. Unless you completely remove the pan and then the drain plug in the side of the internal sump you won't get more than 1/3 of the fluid out. Drain the internal tank and you get 2/3. Clean the pan and the magnetic disc on the pan. Bolt it all back together and replace exactly what you drained, volume-wise.

The 4T80E is a dry sump transmission, so NO fluid will show on the dipstick with the engine off. The engine MUST be running, the car level, in P, warm in order to get a proper level. Fill only to halfway up the dipstick hashmark. Check it again after a week, engine running.

Got $140 ?? Have a GM dealer do it. That way ALL the fluid gets changed with vacuum machines and you have somewhere to go if something isn't right...........
Much better response than mine, Sub!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,006 Posts
I learned the hard way - BUT, on a friend's SLS :D

·
Registered
1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)
1,702 Posts
Not a bad job - just messy like all trans with no external drain plug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts