Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
looking for an ETC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of ESC's available,

Fewer ETC s around, especially under 100,000 mi

Been holding out for an ETC.

I know what the differences are on paper, but how do they really drive?

THANKS!

Studebaker

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,163 Posts
The ETC will have a firmer suspension, much like the difference between the STS and the SLS or the Deville/DHS and the DTS. You'll have to drive one to see if the difference is a factor to you.

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX (sold), 96 Eldorado (sold), 99 DeVille (sold)
1,382 Posts
Like Ranger said, its like comparing a SLS to a STS. Personally, I think the cars are so close in comparrison, that you would have to drive one right after the other to even notice something different. In other words, you really need to be looking for the difference. I think it is easier to fell the difference between tires and rims than the suspension itslef. That's just me though.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
I have an SLS that was Opted with the Active CVRSS F45
so i really don't have any experience with the Passive so not every sls will be the same keep this in mind the ESC did not have the option for the Active Struts or shocks

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
The ETC would have a sportier feel to it with out giving up comfort. A considerable difference in the final drive gearing & the HP band peaking at higher revs would give better throttle response. The ETC is not speed limited to 112mph like the base model.

The ECT will use more fuel than the base model. The base model is no slouch and has all the power you want, is not slow, its just not as quick.

93 to 96 had RSS suspension, 1997 to 2002 had the CVRSS, the F55 magnaride optioned in late 2002 is most desirable.

I don't think the F55 was ever available on the ETC. None of these suspension options are passive, all are active.

The passive struts & shocks are aftermarket.

I think the info out there indicates the only difference between the "soft ride" & the "touring option" is the FE1 & FE3 front spring rate & sway bar, the rear suspensions were all the same but may have production & design differences as they progressed in years.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,500 Posts
The only FWD Cadillac to get F55 (Lord/DELPHI Magnetic Ride Control) was the 2002.5 through 2003 STS. Installation began on 01-15-02 and ended with the last (real) STS in 06-03. The series was the test mule for Corvette and other later upscale models designed for the MRC option. Google "lord magnetorheological suspension".

The spring/suspension package in your car will be two RPO's on the sticker under the spare tire cover or downloaded from the "VIN to RPO converter" in the sticky threads at the top of this Seville threads page.

You'll find RPO's like FE1, FE3, F45, F55, etc.

·
Registered
2002 White Diamond STS
105 Posts
I have an STS with the F55, and I drove a couple of SLS's without when I was shopping for my Seville; to be honest I couldn't tell a difference between the two cars on the various test drives a day apart.

That's not to say there's not a difference - just that I think you'd have to drive both back to back for extended periods to tell the difference.

If you're having trouble locating that "perfect" ETC, I don't think you'd be unhappy if you found a right-mileage ESC version. De-badge the trunk, no one would know.... and your repair bills for suspension work will be significantly cheaper :D

·
Administrator
73,500 Posts
I have an STS with the F55......That's not to say there's not a difference - just that I think you'd have to drive both back to back for extended periods to tell the difference.

............and drive the F55 to its maximum potential.
For all practical purposes, on long, straight stretches of highway the F45/F55 are nearly identical - the F55 comes alive during "spirited" driving. Suspension control-wise, with F55 you can almost have your cake and eat it too.

Moot discussion, as Eldorado never had it.

·
Administrator
73,500 Posts
2006+ DTS's have Magnetic Ride Control in the Vin 9 guise.
I'll bet that's a right decent handling car............

Post #6, para. 1.

Several later models have it - we were the test mules - and a 2006 "DTS" is not a real Deville, same as the later "STS" is not a Seville.

·
Registered
looking for an ETC
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anything that can be done withhin reason to make the ESC handle better?

And THANKS for the informative posts y'all !

Studebaker

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
You can swap the struts with CVRSS (at a cost of ~$3000), add 4 level sensors (one for each wheel), add the harness for the sensors, add a CVRSS control module, rewire the ELC, replace the EBTCM with a ICCSII enabled unit, go into the IPC overrides and activate the CVRSS suspension and you are good to go. If you have FE1 you may swap the springs with FE3, front sway bar can be swapped with the thicker one (there are two sway bar options for soft ride and sport ride, although allot of the sport ride cars have the thinner sway bar).
But for the price and time spend you are batter off swapping the entire car with a ETC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts