Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. What do you all think.

What I am talking about: getting close to the redline almost every day.

What I am not talking about: Sitting at the redline for a long time.

The only thing I am wondering is about, I have heard it is a good idea to excersise the cars every so often.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Some people say baby the engine and it'll last forever. Some say to give it a good dose of throttle regularly. Personally, I drive an engine fairly hard and other than the ONE V6 I had, I've NEVER been able to substantiate either claim.
BTW, the one V6 was a 3.8 in a '89 Pontiac SSE. I bought it new and traded it at 40K miles with 60psi compression in each cylinder. I'm assumming it couldn't take my driving habits.
Never bought another V6 again.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But if you baby it, cant things get built up in the comb. chambers and in the exuast.

·
Registered
99 STS
103 Posts
I , in 40 years of driving, have never babyed a car. I have always done the regular maint. on time and have had no engine failures. Starters, water pumps, gen./alternators . The bolt on stuff wears out regardles of what you do. Use it or loose it I always say.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Drove the hell out of my 1980 Phoenix coupe V-6. Cleared a lot of carbon out of the exhaust that way, never had any major trouble. It now has 245,000 kms (not sure what that is in miles- Gez I hate the metric system!) Always changed the oil at 3,000 miles or around 4,000 kms. When the tranny fluid got dark in colour and smelled like it was burning, changed that too.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Change the fluids more regularly than recommended, and be sure to keep the cooling system healthy. Excessive heat and cold starts do more damage than anything else.

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
Elvis said:
Change the fluids more regularly than recommended, and be sure to keep the cooling system healthy. Excessive heat and cold starts do more damage than anything else.
Agreed!!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So none of you think that baskically no matter how hard the ar is driven, as long as you keep up with its maintenance it is going to live just as long a life as a car that has been babied its whole life?

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
I don't know if I would say that Wes. I think every car has weaknesses and strong points. I think even two identical cars can have totally different repairs needed. Some new cars my family have had needed a new alternator, etc when only a year old, even when friends may have the same car with no problems. I think some cars can take abuse more than others. Some cars were built to take abuse, ie, my dad's Olds 442 W-30. Heavy duty everything on that car, ie. 12 bolt performance axle, factory balanced and blueprintred engine, high output alternator, etc, etc. and never a problem. (he drove it hard.) However in the long run, I would THINK if a car is babied, it will probably last longer. We must buy quality in the first place!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Ralph said:
I would THINK if a car is babied, it will probably last longer. We must buy quality in the first place!
Yes! We must buy quality in the first place.....I do not agree that a car that is babied will last longer! A car That is properly maintained will last longer no matter how hard you drive it! My Dad babied every car that he ever had and didn't ever get the life out of them that I get.....But he was not very consistant when it came to maintenance! I have always driven my cars to the limit of their capabilities and have never had a failure because of it. Drive it the way you want to......BUT TAKE PROPER CARE OF IT!!

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Won't a car with higher mileage be more susceptable to failure or repairs? I know I will never drive our other high mileage car the way I used to for fear of blowing a gasket, etc. I agree about changing oil as often as you can, but I also want to get my money's worth before I have to change it. (this is also what I meant on the synthetic thread) In the back of my mind, I keep thinking that newer cars can take more abuse than older ones, but maybe that isn't entirely true?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
It's a REAL simple equation. As power request from driver increases, power output from engine increases. Simple right? Now the rest of the story. As power output from engine increases, so does wear on mechanical parts. So the more power you request from an engine, the more wear you are causeing it to incure. Constant RPM causes less wear than varying RPM.
So bottom line, heavy throttle use and intermittent rpm fluctuations combine to make increased stress and wear on the mechanical components of your car. From there it's just a crap-shoot as to how long the parts will last. All you can do at that point is give them the best chance of a long life by doing proper maintenance and using the best possible lubricants.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'll add to what Kevin just said By saying......Of course a high mileage engine will be more susceptable to failure. No matter how you drive it! The more wear you put on any machine the closer it gets to the end of its life.....That's just the way it is. You buy it, You use it, It wears out, It gets replaced....The only control that you have over the length of time it lasts is how well you maintain it during the process.

To answer your other question....Yes I believe the quality of cars has gotten a lot better over the last 20 years. That too is inevitable.....The longer you build and use a product, The better you get at manufacturing it. We've learned a lot about cars in the last 20 years....They last way longer now without proper care than they used to....We've made them a lot more idiot proof out of a dire need to do so.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very true....

I guess you should use a car, because it is going to fail eventually, and I dont think that it is going to be MUCH sooner if you drive it hard. Might as well use it hard while you got the chance.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you want to use synthetic oil, isnt it better to use a thicker oil since synthetic will leak.

Also, dont you think synthetic ATF is better than regular ATF

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Generally speaking, synthetic lubricants have a wider operational temp range. This translates into better flow characteristics when cold, and better thermal protection on those REALLY hot days. Personally, I have ALWAYS believed that full synthetic oils DO leak more than standard petroleum oils. I understand that this was the primary motivation when Mobil 1 came out with their oils for "older cars".

1 - 20 of 40 Posts