Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 sedan deville with the 4.9liter engine and I checked my tranny fluid today and its a gold/orange looking color and smells like transmission fluid I think its dextron(don't know if I have the name spelled right) 3 in these things right? The fluid dosen't smell burnt and its not a dark brown color or anything. The reason I ask is is seems like its shifting a little bit rough,what I mean it's not slipping or lagging I can feel it shift,which is normal I guess. If it matters I've had the same tranny fluid in the car since I bought it in march of last year,but if its clean looking/smelling and the trannys working fine should I even be worried about this? Last thing is is there a transmission oil life meter on the 1994 devilles,that tells you how much life the fluid has left like it does with the engine oil? thanks for any input on this guys.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
My belief is it should be changed at some regular interval. I feel by 100K. Supposedly it's lifetime, but I think the life of the trans is longer with an occassional fluid change.

The feeling on the board is the trans fluid life meter gets reset with a battery change. So if the battery gets disconnected it resets back to 100%.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 124,*** miles
2,212 Posts
Do nothing. If it were burnt you would know. You can buy some Dexron III and smell and compare if you want to. These cars do not have ATF life indicator. If you, nevertheless, decide to change ATF and the filter, NEVER flush the tranny - just drain , clean the pan and the magnet, replace the gasket and filter. Flushing machines often introduce someone elses crap into your perfectly clean tranny. That's the reason shops just love to flush them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts