Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1994 cadillac deville
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 94 deville i bought with heavy frontend damage. i bought the parts at a you pull it and put them on,...same color diamond white but my car had a 2ply pinstripe and the front end from the yard has none,..... i have read how to remove them but how do i know if it is above or underclearcoat? can you sometimes feel them even if there under? i can feel mine but i just want to be sure before i take a heatgun or hairdrier to it. thankyou in advance

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
Put some heat on it... if you can peel the edge with your fingernail it's not under the clear coat.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Most GM ones are just stickers. If you can feel them they are on top of the clear coat and you can just pull them off and buff away the glue.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
The ones on both my old '88 and my '90 are stickers.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Then either they were both repainted before or someone redid the pinstriping.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
I am pretty sure my '90 has been repainted. The ones on my '88 were stock, that was for sure. GM was way too cheap in the late 80's to actually bother painting them on. Do you have a picture of your originals painted on under the clear coat? Here are the ones from my '88, they are the exact same on every FWD Fleetwood like mine that I saw. You can even see where they overlap just in front of the hood ornament. Keep in mind that the FWD Fleetwoods were the third most expensive Cadillacs you could buy at the time, beaten only by the Allante and the Sixty Special.

·
Registered
Custom 2005 Cadillac Deville, Pimp Edition
275 Posts
My 2 pinstriping jobs were not under the clearcoat and were painted on. I don't know how they did them back then though, mine were 2000 and an 05.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Its not under the clearcoat it's ontop of it like cadillac_pimpz's cars are. I've never seen a FLeetwood with pinstriping like that on the hood. Youre missing the one thats supposed to be on the trunk.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Every FWD Fleetwood I have seen has them. There was a white one with gold pinstriping exactly like mine for sale in the area not too long ago. You mean this trunk striping?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
That's not original. They never looked like that and they never had 2 colours either. Whoever did that probably did whats on the hood too. Look at pictures of other Devilles or Fleetwoods and you'll see what its really supposed to look it. They're both the same.

·
Registered
Custom 2005 Cadillac Deville, Pimp Edition
275 Posts
Normally cadillacs will come with stock pinstripes on the sides, but if there are ones on the hood, trunk area or two-tone pinstripes then they are most likely custom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts