Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've 'Googled' this, as well as searched on here, and I'm seeing various opinions. So then, I'd like to gather some direct feedback from you kind souls.
Thanks to my 'genius' brother, my 08 CTS (3.6L DI) has 3/4 of a quart less transmission fluid than it did yesterday -- it was 'accidentally' drained out in an attempt to do something that I was an absolute idiot for even granting approval on [the fluid that drained out was surprisingly dirty (66k miles; I haven't changed, and I doubt previous owner ever did)]. I'm now getting "Service Stabilitrak," 'Check Enginge' lights and all that. The car has been started twice but not driven more than 20 feet since then. I have made an appointment with a Cadillac dealership to do the trans and differential fluids next Tuesday. Outside of renting a car, I have no other means of transportation for getting to work tomorrow through Monday (5 miles each way), and I'll have to drive it to the dealership on Tuesday (13 miles from my house). Is it safe to drive the 43 miles with this amount missing? All roads would be surface streets, and speeds would not exceed 45mph. I feel incredibly stupid right now...:helpless:

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Ask your "genius" brother to pick up another quart of tranny fluid and top it back off. Hopefully your idiot lights should go off/stay off until you get all the fluids changed.

·
Registered
CTS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've considered doing that, but he does not have a hand pump for refilling. That is the only way on this model, correct?

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I don't have first hand knowledge of '08 CTS's, but yeah the fill plug should be located up on the side of the pan. You would need a pump to get the fluid in. They are available at most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
CTS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've looked at the DIY on here a bunch of times, and it seems like I can do it. I'll head up to the parts store later and see if they have the pump. If not, I may have access to one from another bottle of gear fluid that I can clean out and use. I poured the drained fluid into an oil quart bottle, so I plan to empty out a quart of transmission fluid to the point that it matches up with the level of the old fluid in the oil bottle, and just pump that much in. I'm hoping that will get me by until the service on Tuesday. I've had zero engine problems with this car, and my goal is to not create any through anymore screw-ups

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
If you aren't sure how much tranny fluid was drained, just keep adding fluid until it begins to overflow back out of the fill hole.
Hopefully that'll take care of it.

·
Registered
CTS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to get the pump and fluid (Castrol Dexron VI) from Autozone ($16 for both). Measured out the exact amount that was drained, and filled with that amount -- kept everything clean. Simple and quick. Started it up, and it sounds great again. All warning lights are gone. I'm still going to go in and have the dealership do the trans and differential fluids, but I don't expect any problems before then. I did everything else yesterday, but I've never been comfortable with fooling with the tranny -- though, I did a drain-and-fill on my last car without issue.
Thanks for the help here vfaniva and Drunken Elvis!

·
Registered
CTS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to update, I went to the dealership for the trans and differential fluids today. They took all day (got it back just after 5), even though I had a 10am appointment, but their service was great otherwise. The transmission work's cost beat out the most reputable private trans shop in town by $60, so I was happy with that. The differential fluid service was pretty pricey due to GMs inflated fluid cost, but the total for everything was quite fair. They did a "multi point inspection" (tires, battery, brakes, exhaust system, axles/shafts/joints/cv boots, mounts and bearings) at no cost. Everything came back clean, which I knew already from my inspection prior to the transmission fluid fiasco -- well, the washer fluid was low, so they topped it off. It's running like a dream right now, so I'm satisfied with this 'preventative maintenance,' and glad that my brother's little 'experiment' didn't do any harm.

·
Registered
CTS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I know, I should have just bit the bullet and done it myself, but I paid $340. The transmission service (including flush) was 199. I could have gotten the differential fluid done for a little more than half that at the reputable transmission shop that wanted $260 for the transmission service, but I opted to just do it at the dealership in town with the best reputation. The labor on the differential fluid was only $40, so that $100 GM fluid must have gold in it! With the wash/interior cleaning, and the inspection, I was content with the price. What do you guys think? (be gentle lol)

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,173 Posts
I don't think that is outrageous. You made a good decision. Sure, nobody wants to fork over those hard earned fun tickets unnecessarily, but you now have complete peace of mind. Now go drive it like you stole it.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
That's a fair deal. I know how you feel about the rear fluid. Had mine changed out last year and nearly choked when SA quoted the price. I took home the bottle with unused portion of fluid. No way I was leaving it behind LOL!
Next time I'll do it myself. :)

·
Registered
CTS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like the dealer treated you very good . it's nice to hear good reports.
Thanks! I did feel that they treated me well. I still enjoy doing as much as I can myself, but I wanted to make the safe move this time.

Glad to hear no major damage done
Your pushing me to get that pump and replace the missing fluid probably has a lot to do with that. Thank you so much! :thumbsup:

I don't think that is outrageous. You made a good decision. Sure, nobody wants to fork over those hard earned fun tickets unnecessarily, but you now have complete peace of mind. Now go drive it like you stole it.
When I thought about it, the 'cost vs nervousness-about-doing-it-on-my-own' favored having it done at the dealership, so I feel it was well worth it. Thanks for reinforcing that idea for me! I will now proceed to drive it like I...hey, wait! :tisk: :)

That's a fair deal. I know how you feel about the rear fluid. Had mine changed out last year and nearly choked when SA quoted the price. I took home the bottle with unused portion of fluid. No way I was leaving it behind LOL!
Next time I'll do it myself. :)
Hahaha I didn’t even think of that. By the time this stuff needs to be done again, I should be quite comfortable with just doing it on my own. You should have seen how wide my eyes got when he quoted the price lol. “The transmission will be $199”…okay, not bad, I can do that…”The differential will be $140” :suspense:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts