Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Deville that I am selling and I just bought an OEM cd changer due to a customer's request. I was wondering if it is already prewired for a cd changer? The radio controls do have a cd changer source option. I can't seem to find any wires in the trunk area. Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Take care,
Lelo

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes! I have a 1997 Deville and I just finished installing a NEO Changer based on a post from a couple of others on this site. It was a bitch to find (the harness) , but here's how I did it.

I removed the cargo net screws from the rights side trunk first. Next I removed the top liner inside the trunk held fast by only (4)1 inch black hex finger fasteners.

I crawled intothe big ole trunk and shined a flashlight behind the liner, pulling it down so I could see the power antenna.

I stumbled on what I first thought was the interface, a large 3 inch interface block wrapped in shipping foam with a strip of electrical tape around it. That's not it, and I have NO idea what the heck that is (looks like a testing interface).

I discovered none of my NEO Changer cables (you get 14 cables!) fit the big interface I stumbled on, so I kept hunting. So I traced the cable housing that starts at the bottom of the electric antenna to a splice off of the main cable about 6 wires that snaked under the trunk floor lining toward the middle of the car, under the spare tire. I pulled on this wire not having a clue what it was, but knew that it had to be it.

I then ran my hand under the lining as far as I could toward the spare tire. The cable kept going. So, I had a fatal decision to make: do I pull harder, and screw this up, or do I suck it up and let the Cady dealer soak me again! Nope, I pulled this wire with my hand under the liner as close as I could get my hand under there toward the spare.

I'm standing on theright rear of the car, looking over into the trunk, holding back the side part of the liner and bending my wrist to contort to the bottom of the trunk. I pulled and it freed up. I checked my interface cable and that was it, that was the wire bundle.

After that, I hooked up NEO in about 10 minutes. With the NEOChanger, I was amazed! I get full 10 CD functionality and all the buttons work! For 272.00 this was well worth it. I mounted the unit with the hardware that came with the kit, next to my cargo net in the trunk.

I hope someone can find this post and use it. I had a hell of a time finding that connector, but it's there. Best Buy said, "Your Headunit Might Not be Compatible", wrong. The head unit is transformed into a fully functional CD controller. I have new features with the head unit:

First, now there is a cool little CD ring that appears in the upper left, letting me know my NEOChangeris ready and loaded. Then I hit the SELECT button, and the panel turns into this display that shows track number, time, etc. The cassette buttons act as Seek, Random Play, Skip, etc.

If you have a 1997, 1998, or 1999 and don't have a CD Changer AND a stock head unit with no single CD, this NEO Changer is really something to look into for a great price that a do-it-yourselfer can manage without screwing up anything. It took longer to mount than to hook up! Have fun!

Shale-D

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is where I found the wiring harness for my NEOChanger. This is a 1997 Cadillac Deville. I really had a hard time finding it, but it was pre-wired and ready to plug and play. Hope this is useful to someone.

Shale-D

:coolgleam

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Neo Changer info

Here's the direct Neo Changer site....

http://www.neochanger.com.

You can order direct from them. They do offer an "installed" option for the technically impaired. Also note that price difference between MP3'd and not is only $10.

Now I need to crawl into the trunk o' the '99 Fleetwood and see if I can locate my connector cable. Living with a cassette player is not fun! I have more 8-tracks than I do cassettes!

·
Registered
25 Posts
More info on NeoChanger

OK, after a bit of web searching, the best price I found on a new Neo Changer is $179 on sale here:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/interdiscountmall/noname11.html

They have the MP3 version available for $20 more if that's the route you prefer.

On a tighter budget? Here's a refurbished unit from the manufacturer with a 1 year warranty at $149

http://www.ssiamerica.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NEOCHANGER10-REFURB&Category_Code=ncc

Want to read the simple instructions for installation of the Neo Changer before you buy? No problem! Here's the manual in PDF...

http://www.ssiamerica.com/products/neochanger/neo-changer-manual-rev-1.2.pdf

Sometimes a few minutes of searching on the web can save ya a lot of money, or at least enough for an extra gallon or two of gas (yeeeow, over $2 for premium!).:helpless:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does anyone have any advice on how to make this Neochanger work in my 97 Deville? I bought one a few days ago, have dip switches 3 and 7 set to on, and the stereo doesn't recognize it as a source. It is the regular tape deck, not Bose. Cable was in the trunk, and it plugged right in. The changer gets power. I can hear it doing something for a little bit when I plug it in, and I can also eject the magazine with no problems. I just cannot get the stereo to recognize the new source. I have 5 CD's in the magazine. I don't think any are MP3 format (but I do have the Neochanger model that plays MP3's). A few are burned and a couple are originals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
"I'm no expert . . ." (famous last words!)

. . . but, in the on-line pdf of the installation manual, it says for GM OLD (1995-1999 DeVilles are in this category), set dip switch 3 to on (UP), all others to off.
It also says if you change the switch settings, to disconnect then reconnect any/all cables to the changer.

Maybe, just maybe, its a simple as that!

Good luck, let us know how it comes out. I'm about to do this myself!

Also, anyone have a digiphoto of what the connector in the trunk is supposed to look like?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just installed a neo in my 99 deville yesterday and it is awsome. FYI i set the dips to 3 and 7 on. One thing though, they did a pretty crappy job of connecting the wires to the pins (in the connector) and one of the wires on mine was completely disconnected. I cut away a little bit of the connector and soderied it back on. I would definately check the connectors if you are having problems. But overall, the changer is great! Wish i would have seen this post yesterday or i might not have spent 250 at BB.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well I finally got my Neochanger going last night. I had called Neochanger tech support and they had me run thru a few things. After following their steps, they thought the little box with the dip switches was bad, and they sent me another one. I had the exact same issue with the new box. So I read thru the posts here, and thought maybe one of my wires on the cable was disconnected or something. I looked at the plug on the car cable, and it looked a little corroded. So I cut it, one wire at a time, and hard wired it to the Neochanger GM B cable. Still couldbn't get the car stereo to recognize the changer. Changer was still getting power, but still not recogniozed as a source. Called Neochanger support back, and they said they had an issue with some cars where a couple of the wires needed to be switched. So I switched (as in traded places) the wires they said to move, and that did the trick. As of last night, my Neochanger is working great. And even with CDR's, there is a HUGE improvement in sound quality over the radio.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did it! :D

I ordered the refurbished NeoChanger unit from the manufacturer...$149. Shipping was quick. I ordered on Monday, had it in my hands on Friday. Even the refurbished unit comes with the standard 1-year manufacturer's warranty. I figured I couldn't go too far wrong for a hundred and a half.

First note: the on-line directions I referred to in another post....Ignore that. There's an updated sheet enclosed with the changer that does indeed indicate dip switches 3 & 7 should be on. And that works with my car.

ALSO...bonus! I got the MP3 compatable player. The refurbished unit on the website just indicates the regular, non-mp3 one. A pleasant surprise!:woohoo:

Installation is literally a snap. Set the dip switches on the little control box (shown mounted on the inside of my quarter panel with 2xstick emblem tape). Attach the supplied connection cable to the connector already in the trunk and to the little box (note, my changer didn't come with all cables, just the one for my application). Attach another supplied cable from the box to the changer. My trunk connector was right by the power antenna assembly.

The radio recognized the changer immediately, the disks loaded, the steering wheel controls work, all is well (there is one disappointment, in a minute).

I elected to suspend my changer under the rear shelf area in the trunk. Deciding on placement took much longer than hooking up the unit! I know the standard Cadillac placement is on the right side floor of the trunk, but I didn't want it in the way there.

Four holes drilled for attachment of the bracket (also supplied), and four screws and I was done!

VERY simple installation!

Now, in the picture of the trunk, you might notice a couple of things. My car is a Fleetwood Limited, so the trunk may look larger than normal. Also, the cable you see in the middle of the open trunk lid is an antenna cable, not related to the CD changer.

Now the disappointment>>>

It doesn't progress from one CD to the next. It will play CD1 through, but instead of going to CD2, it goes back to the beginning of CD1. Duh.

Also, when you change from song to song on a CD, there's about about a two second delay before the song stops playing, then the next song starts. It isn't instant like some changers.

The directions do mention that in 1997-99 Cadillacs, a power drain issue could occur, necessating some rewiring and the installation of "a relay." Mentioned is that the changer may not get a Power Off signal from the radio, and drain the battery overnight.

My car was fine this morning, so maybe that's not an issue with my car. I hope! We'll see if it starts Monday morning too.

If you're considering this at all, my advise is to do it! Even my wife could have installed this!

The sound is incredible. I didn't know my stock radio could sound so good! It never sounded this good with the casettes!:cool:

Dennis

[oh dear god, the pictures are huge....sorry!]

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
SeeMyCars