Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed on cold start ups, I have a lot of lifter noise, especially from the passenger side. When it's warmed up, I still can hear a bit of noise, but not nearly as much. Is lifter noise normal on a 4.9? I know some of the GM motors have it (3.1, 3.4) but I'm not sure if the 4.9 has it, I've never really given it too much thought before my dad asked about it this morning. He told me my car had gotten awful noisy on cold start ups lately, so then I started it this morning and walked around it and that's where I noticed how bad it was.

·
Registered
'98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!
4,425 Posts
Roller lifters on some higher mileage 4.9's seems to get that little tick. My Seville had it since 117,xxx miles and still running (save for the tranny).

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't say it's so little, it's quite loud for lifters, I'll have to videotape it sometime. Maybe it's because I've been running that 15W-40 Rotella in it for the last ~36,000 miles?

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
I would think the Rotella would quiet things down rather than cause noises.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All that thick oil trying to get squeezed through those lifters??

·
Registered
90 Deville
70 Posts
A quart of Marvel Mystery Oil has cured the tapping in a few 4.3L Chevys with roller lifters in the past, may work in the Caddy.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
Or maybe seafoam in the crankcase before the next oil change to help clean them up and stop them from sticking. I have noticed a knock from mine lately, not sure if its lifters or what, shouldnt be spark knock though

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
Video I took this morning showing the tick at cold start ups.

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/?action=view&current=6ae93627.flv

It's due for an oil change before I take it up to North Dakota this weekend. I'll either tackle that tomorrow night or perhaps Thursday night. I think I'll run a can of that Marvel Mystery Oil thru too.

Hmm.. Sounds just like mine, never knew any different lol. Mine is only 98k miles. Let us know if you do anything to clean it up.

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts