Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2002 DHS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Cadillac DHS with about 165,000 miles on it. It is making a knocking noise but it is hard to tell where it is coming from. I tried to add video but wouldn’t let me even after I edited it. Just want to get help before I take it to the shop so I want get screwed. If anyone wants to help leave email and I will send video. I’m new to the forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,597 Posts
You could sign up to Youtube and post the video there, then post the link here.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,413 Posts
Highly doubtful that you need a new engine. Worst case scenario is a HG job for much less than a new engine, but unless you are using coolant and overheating, that's not likely your problem.

The knocking could be as simple as a pulley bearing. The lower end of these engine are damned near bullet proof. Get 2 or 3 estimates, but be aware that many uneducated shops hear "Northstar" and simply say, junk motor, replace it.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,792 Posts
I took my engine on 2002 deville with 130,000 miles apart due to stripped head bolts. I put studs in. The rods and main bearings had very little wear on then. the cylinder walls still had cross hatch and the rings on the pistons had no carbon.
I just put the studs in and all new gaskets. drove the car till 170,000 miles when I sold it. I still see that car some time 5 years later.

·
2002 DHS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recorded a video to maybe help me get a diagnostics of engine knocking. Co worker said engine gone and I was hoping may not be. Has oil no coolant mixture (milky) with it. I know it’s better to see and check things out in person but wanted to see what options I have on what to do. Maybe someone has experience this on the forum. Thanks for watching and info you may have. Here is link

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,670 Posts
Northstars do not normally mix oil/coolant when a head gasket fails due to bolt hole thread failure. That (those) videos sound like valvetrain problems - a failed cam follower, unless I miss my guess.

The rapping is at 1/2 engine speed - valvetrain. Use a mechanic's stethoscope to pinpoint the rapping. Sounds sort of like it's in the left (front) bank, rear (driver's) end of the engine.

Here's what one of your (32) cam followers and valves looks like. 2000 and later engines.

2000+ roller valve actuator.jpg

·
Administrator
70,670 Posts
AD, I replied to your Conversation (PM). Please post the question here, for all to see. (He wants advice on a new engine or repair. I said he needed on-scene mechanic's advice.) We don't know the extent of damage yet.

The deleted posts - no sense in your copying duplicate quotes and info that already exists in the thread.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,859 Posts
What happens (sounds) when you throttle it up?
Does the sound stay the same, only faster?
What about the sound when in gear...and some throttle?
Does NOT sound like a rod or crank issue... but don't quote me.

·
Administrator
70,670 Posts

Listen at and after 0:49 in his video. That's valve clatter - one bad one, several others very iffy.

When he revs the engine the clatter speeds up, too - sounds like the valves are swapping holes .....:cry:

·
2002 DHS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It makes the same sound when giving the engine throttle and even when you put it in gear. I drove it maybe half a mile if that to a friends house. Didn’t want to chance it driving it 20 miles to town to a shop. I will have to get a mechanic to come and look at it. Just wanted other ideas I could have a mechanic check. I know a little bit on working on cars starter, belts, alternator, etc. but not engine wise.

·
2004 Deville base
'05 SRX N*/AWD, Vetts/Birds/Trucks
433 Posts
Ouch, that's going to leave a mark.
Sounds like it dropped a valve, now beating itself to death.
Or maybe a playing card in the spokes, but that sounded cool.

Have someone pull the cover and look. Stop running it.

·
2002 DHS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really appreciate all the feedback! I will get someone to pull the cover and check. I watched a guy put plugs in it for me about 5 yrs ago and I found out where the starter is located.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,413 Posts
I agree with the general consensus, sounds like valve train. You will HAVE to pull the cam cover to see exactly what the problem is. A stethoscope will help determnine if it is the front or rear, but as loud as it is, a stethoscope will probably not be needed. Sounded like the front to me as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts