Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really necessary for a "luxury" car to have a top speed of over 120 MPH?

Given the the speed limits worldwide being confined to a top speed of 80 mph (yeah, I know about the German autobahn) is it really necessary for a car designed to meet luxury car standards? This becomes more relevant as new CAFE requirements need to be met in the coming years. Also does a "luxury" need 0 to sixty acceleration times equal to owner enhanced performance models. Must car "luxury" must luxury car handling mimick sportscar handling on twisting roads when `most driving in American is done on relatively straight, well banked, but speed limited, highways.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V with 2 carseats in the back and a f'ing minivan
607 Posts
Re: Is it really necessary for a "luxury" car to have a top speed of over 120 MPH?

Yes....

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Re: Is it really necessary for a "luxury" car to have a top speed of over 120 MPH?

Quick acceleration/great handling in and of itself can be considered a safety feature. Just because we don't have autobahns/the nurburgring shouldn't become an excuse for lazy engineering.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V with 2 carseats in the back and a f'ing minivan
607 Posts

Because I like fast cars and if somebody wants my money they need to build me a fast car. If you like slow cars then go buy a slow car. This is America and I love it.

·
Registered
2002 ETC, 2004 GMC Envoy
39 Posts

What he^said!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts

Luxury is unnecessary.
Speed is unnecessary.
Luxury is about having unnecessary things, therefore speed is necessary for luxury.
I could reiterate it, but why? Jesda said it perfectly.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts

To me, no -- I'm never going to drive that fast. I would much prefer a vehicle that is fast off the line, or fast at passing at highway speeds, over a to me "theoretical" top end.

However, they all usually go hand in hand...

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts

Luxury is unnecessary.
Speed is unnecessary.
Luxury is about having unnecessary things, therefore speed is necessary for luxury.
Nicely put. :golfclap:

orconn, his logic is difficult to resist. :)

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Nicely put. :golfclap:

orconn, his logic is difficult to resist. :)
I agree with Jesda's statement completely, but I wonder if through proper gearing and torque ranges good low and passing speed acceleration couldn't be accomplished without the need to engineer cars capable of 160 mph. Useful cornering and good handling have never necessitated a high terminal speed in a car. Witness the BMW 2002 and its' descendents, and the Lotus's of yore. Lower maximum speed is no excuse for poor handling, but the capability to handle "safely" at 150 mph seems to mean compromises in a cars performance in other "luxury" criteria areas.

·
Registered
None yet!
1,025 Posts

Basically, what Jesda said. If you don't count luxury, the best car is either a 4x4 15-man van, or a Volkswagen Diesel econobox, depending on weather you want to move people and things, or get the best fuel economy. Otherwise, everything else is a Luxury. So is speed. For years the fastest cars WERE the luxury cars because they had the biggest engines. While they all shouldn't be McClaren/Mercedes or xxx-V series, they should definitely be capable of good speed, and composed at those speeds. Several reaons: the 80 MPH speed limit isn't true; There are a few unlimited roads left in the US and plenty abroad; the traffic usually moves faster than the limit when it can, you have to pass, often under such circumstances to begin with; luxury cars will be bought by important people who may have to avail upon the car to get them out of trouble quickly, etc.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts

If by necessary you mean can the car accomplish its mission of transporting people from A to B without a high terminal speed, no. If, however, necessary means something that reinforces a car's status as a luxury item, something above and beyond the ability of the overwhelming majority to acquire, then yes. Luxury cars are expected to be bigger, faster, more opulent, and more rare than common transportation cars. No one expects a Toyota to be fast. A Bentley better damn well better be.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts

Once again Jesda has put it very eloquently, but yet very succinctly!

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

For most of the post war era Rolls-Royce and Bentleys did not have a high terminal speed and aside from the grossest of "Grosser" did Mercedes. It is true that an extreme high speed was demanded of the most expensive GT cars, but in many cases these cars could be classed as luxurious only by they exclusive price tags.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts

Jesda's definition of a luxury car should be put in a dictionary.

I agree with Jesda's statement completely, but I wonder if through proper gearing and torque ranges good low and passing speed acceleration couldn't be accomplished without the need to engineer cars capable of 160 mph
If you start lowering the gear ratios(higher numerically), you get worse fuel economy. In the right applications a big V8 can get excellent fuel economy. It can loaf along at low rpms with real tall gearing(Corvettes and fbodys with manual transmissions come to mind, they can get 25-30mpg highway)

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,584 Posts

Is it really necessary for a "luxury" car to have a top speed of over 120 MPH?
No. No where to use it (legally) anyway.

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts

Jesda's definition of a luxury car should be put in a dictionary.

If you start lowering the gear ratios(higher numerically), you get worse fuel economy. In the right applications a big V8 can get excellent fuel economy. It can loaf along at low rpms with real tall gearing(Corvettes and fbodys with manual transmissions come to mind, they can get 25-30mpg highway)
Well a lower ratio will get you better city mileage though, won't it? What's the ratio in a Vette?

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood Brougham, 1988 Fleetwood Brougham
330 Posts

If you want handling, but a sports car or coupe, luxury cars should have power, an isolated ride (think early 70's caddy) and be bank vault quiet inside, there should be no mention of the handling quality other than "boat like" and they all should have steering from an early 70's chrysler New Yorker

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts

Part of the luxury of a luxury car is the confidence that you'll be able to deal with any sort of driving situation. I don't feel confident in a '70s land yacht.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts