Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Is it possible to return a new Cadillac?

11K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
This is a general question regarding returning a new Cadillac.

Is there any recourse for the owner of a 2017 Cadillac (specifically a CT6 AWD Luxury) with approximately 800 miles on the odometer to return/exchange/trade-in the vehicle for another? The reason for the return is the inevitability that the transmission performance will never improve, that there are no TSB’s or recalls on the horizon, that other owners are expressing the same complaints about rough shifting, and that the calendar (and odometer) is running as the car depreciates.

This isn’t a complaint about a dealership’s efforts to resolve the issue, as the message expressed by Cadillac certified mechanics is loud and clear that ‘the new 8 speed transmission powered by a 3.6L engine exhibits rough shifts’ They've been thorough, attentive and professional, but have no suggestions. The complaint consists of the engineering and quality shortcomings of a new vehicle that simply does not shift properly.

Trading the car in on another GM vehicle that shifts smoothly is one option, or perhaps trading a one month old Cadillac for a used import that shifts smoothly is another.

28 days since purchase and counting.....any advice?

See less See more
#2 ·
I doubt you'll get an answer here - these folks work primarily with warranty and dealership communication problems. Either work directly with the selling dealership, write (quickly) to Cadillac Regional (address dealer-supplied), or - worst case - dump the car for about a 50% drop in purchase price. Once that car left the dealership parking place it lost 33% of the paid price (not sticker) right there.

If there's no Cadillac fix on the horizon, no recalls, no TSBs and no history of lemon-law complaints then you're hung out to dry.

#3 ·
You can file to have Cadillac buy back the car if there is a Lemon Law in your state. Not 100% sure if it will go throughout it's easy to start the process. Also, do you have a sport mode? Many new cars with 7-8-9-10 speed transmissions start shifting early to keep the engine RPM as low as possible for better MPG. using sport modes keeps the transmission in lower gears longer, less shifting.

#4 ·
This is not something the technicians and engineers have no information on. We have bulletins both available to technicians online and thru calling the technical assistance help line to guide them along with these lengthy programming needs. The problem that I am hearing from the technicians is this is very difficult and time consuming to do.
http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?s=Shift+programming&search=Search

#5 ·
Had no other options, so I traded it in.

Wow...that was expensive as the trade-in value was in free-fall throughout it's first 1000 miles.

Not all is good out here in the CT6 consumer base. I'm wondering if the the CT6 was rushed into production and distribution before it was ready.

Thanks for the forum feedback... it's appreciated.

#11 ·
I was wondering about that very issue of trying to return the vehicle back to GM as my transmission not only shifts hard but, on several occasions, while at a standstill, the transmission shifted so hard that I thought that I had been rear ended. As stated by most here, the dealership is doing all they can do and will reprogram your vehicle if you request it. The dealership that I use has stated that a fix in the form of software is on the way but cannot give a firm date. In the meantime, one has to spend inordinate time taking the vehicle back for service. I was told to bring the vehicle in so that they can reprogram the transmission but also so they can check to see if any of the codes are hard codes. GM is acting in a strange manner and does not appear to want to address this issue. This is my first Cadillac and I love it but I do not wish to deal with these issues because, down the road, after warranty is gone, that repair will be very expensive. Good luck. I'm currently looking at the Genesis G90 as it is similiar in size to the CT6 and is a very nice vehicle with excellent power. Just looking at this time but not necessarily buying yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.