Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lease a base model 2014 ATS. When I leased it, I didn't think I needed too much and I got all the features that I thought I wanted (CUE, sunroof, heated seats & remote start). Only to find out, after the fact, that I really did want the keyless passive entry feature. Turns out that I didn't realize how much easier it would be to just leave my keys in my pocket instead of having to pull them out, unlock and put them back in the pocket! That or I pull them out, leave them in the cup holder... forget they are there... car honks at me when I'm at the store and leave my keys in the car, calling all sorts of attention to me.

My ATS has push button start, so it seems like its got the correct remote and sensors (as far as I can tell). So the more in depth question is... Is the car wired up already to simply buy the OEM handle with the passive entry button on it and install it? (eg: http://www.amazon.com/Cadillac-Non-Lighted-Switchblade-Silver-13587966/dp/B00U1N6N7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433910263&sr=8-1&keywords=13587966%2C+23186280)

I'm sure I could just pull off the door panel and see if there is a wiring harness being unused back there. But I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has tried this or knows.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
I lease a base model 2014 ATS. When I leased it, I didn't think I needed too much and I got all the features that I thought I wanted (CUE, sunroof, heated seats & remote start). Only to find out, after the fact, that I really did want the keyless passive entry feature. Turns out that I didn't realize how much easier it would be to just leave my keys in my pocket instead of having to pull them out, unlock and put them back in the pocket! That or I pull them out, leave them in the cup holder... forget they are there... car honks at me when I'm at the store and leave my keys in the car, calling all sorts of attention to me.

My ATS has push button start, so it seems like its got the correct remote and sensors (as far as I can tell). So the more in depth question is... Is the car wired up already to simply buy the OEM handle with the passive entry button on it and install it? (eg: http://www.amazon.com/Cadillac-Non-Lighted-Switchblade-Silver-13587966/dp/B00U1N6N7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433910263&sr=8-1&keywords=13587966%2C+23186280)

I'm sure I could just pull off the door panel and see if there is a wiring harness being unused back there. But I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has tried this or knows.
Man I have to ask. Pushiepants? Where did that come from?:highfive:

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
If nobody posts they've done it, well its only $59 to try and see. Don't know their return policy but they say to ask them.

It's not just if the car has all the parts to make it work, there is also programming that may or may not be installed in your car. Manufacturers sometimes add code to prevent owners installing options that are part of a package or trim level. And if the car doesn't have the programming, you may or may not be able to get a dealer to install it.

If you try it and it does work, you might want to see if all the programming is working, not just pushing the button to unlock the car. You may still have to expressly lock the car after exiting or have other differences from cars that came with the option.

·
Registered
2014 ATS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahaah... nothing too exciting. My nick name is Push, and it's really hard to get that as a username on most sites. Most of the girls I know call me Pushie Pants, as a term of endearment... so I adopted that as my username for a lot of sites.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
hahaah... nothing too exciting. My nick name is Push, and it's really hard to get that as a username on most sites. Most of the girls I know call me Pushie Pants, as a term of endearment... so I adopted that as my username for a lot of sites.
Like that. That's a tough nickname. Push anyway.Not to sure about pushiepants though. Better than my buddy named Big-gay and he's not gay. And Cockblock and he is a blocker for sure. Well good to meet you man and welcome here.

My man pushiepants right there.:worship:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sure would like to know the answer to this question as well. It looks lie adding remote start (If one didn't have it) is possible just by getting the fobs and a code to reprogram the BCM. Fairly inexpensive too <$300 maybe. Maybe it is the same thing with the passive entry. Get a new handle and a code and you are all set. ???

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD MT
44 Posts
+1.
Would like to know if this is possible. I know there are two or three different door harnesses for these cars. I am just wondering whether the programming is there.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T AWD, 2016 SRX AWD
27 Posts
Hello all...
I thought that I would give this a try.

I bought a set of handles with passive entry (not illuminated handles) that said they would work with my 2014 ATS Base.
I also searched around and it SEEMED as though the most simple door wiring harness would have a connection for these handles.

I've got the door open right now, and I can pretty well confirm that there is no connection available.
As you can see from the picture, my current handles don't have any wire / harness coming out of them. You can also see the replacement parts do.

Again, I was thinking I would find a harness taped to the door that could accept the connection from the handles.

Anyway, I'm going to leave the door disassembled until tomorrow in the hopes that someone on this site has been inside the door of a Base ATS and knows that there is a connection available, and that I'm just missing it.

Of course, even if there was wiring, there's a separate question of whether there are sensors in the handles that would need to be programmed, or other software updates that may or may not be possible.

Inside view of door handle
Door0.jpg

New handle with wiring
Door1.jpg

·
Registered
ATS
415 Posts
Hello all...
I thought that I would give this a try.

I bought a set of handles with passive entry (not illuminated handles) that said they would work with my 2014 ATS Base.
I also searched around and it SEEMED as though the most simple door wiring harness would have a connection for these handles.

I've got the door open right now, and I can pretty well confirm that there is no connection available.
As you can see from the picture, my current handles don't have any wire / harness coming out of them. You can also see the replacement parts do.

Again, I was thinking I would find a harness taped to the door that could accept the connection from the handles.

Anyway, I'm going to leave the door disassembled until tomorrow in the hopes that someone on this site has been inside the door of a Base ATS and knows that there is a connection available, and that I'm just missing it.

Of course, even if there was wiring, there's a separate question of whether there are sensors in the handles that would need to be programmed, or other software updates that may or may not be possible.

Inside view of door handle
View attachment 449906

New handle with wiring
View attachment 449914
Just curious if you have to remove the interior door panel to remove the exterior door handle?

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T Performance
49 Posts
It's possible that cars with different option packages may have different wiring harnesses installed at the factory. If that's the case, you might be SOL.

·
Registered
Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury
2,243 Posts
I am no mechanic, but it seems to me that adding Passive Entry is a lot more complicated than changing door handles.

The car has to be able to talk to the FOB, that is sending out security signals, then the computer has to OK it and unlock the door.
CUE also has options for controlling passive lock/unlock. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,663 Posts
GM lists different door wiring harnesses for with or without passive entry so you would need to replace the harness and you will then find that at the very least the BCM will need to be reprogrammed and there may be other hardware needed. It isn't going to be practical to make this addition.

An aftermarket system would likely be more practical but I expect it would also require an invasive installation.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
GM lists different door wiring harnesses for with or without passive entry so you would need to replace the harness and you will then find that at the very least the BCM will need to be reprogrammed and there may be other hardware needed. It isn't going to be practical to make this addition.

An aftermarket system would likely be more practical but I expect it would also require an invasive installation.
I agree. And if you just wanted the illuminated light I could see doing that. But the rest is going to be a hassle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts