Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so when i turn on my 02 6.0 i hear a slight constant squeak. It increases speed as i press the accelerator. When i turn the wheel or crank on the a/c it stays the same with no change in sound or speed. i this my water pump? How can i find the source of the squeak? ive had no issues with over heating or coolant levels.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
72 Posts
Could be the serpentine drive belt.
Apply some fan belt lube.....if it is the belt, the noise will go away, or at the least, the volume will be reduced.
If so, replace the drive belt. Lots cheaper than a water pump.

·
Registered
'02 Escalade
200 Posts
Yea, probably the serp belt. If you put lube/dressing on the belt, make sure the stuff is safe for a serp belt. If you read the fine print, some belt dressing products say "not for use on ribbed serpentine belts." You can hold a bar of soap against both sides of the belt to accomplish the same thing. Just make sure that your fingers are no where close to one of the pulleys/fan cuz if they get caught in the belt, you're in trouble. This may even buy you a week or more of quiet operation. If the squeak does not go away, you may have a bad pulley or as you said a bad part. If the squeak goes away, but comes back later, you'll need a new serp belt. Check the alignment of the parts too. All the pulleys should be in the same plane which should be straight up and down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts