Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now heres the main problem today I was driving home noticing there is a Engine knock/ticking noise. Obviously right there I figured it was the bottom end bearing. So I changed the oil immediatly got Mobil 1 synthetic, and changed the filter. As I drained the old oil out there wasn't even a full Quart I drained in the oil pan from the old oil. So I changed everything, and it got a little better but the higher I rev the engine its still there. So I called the dealership im scheduled to bring it in Tuesday morning. Anyone have any experiences like this? thoughts? Also the car has 27,000 miles. It does have the 50,000 warranty I mean GM has to cover this right? Also would I get a rental car lately im just pulling my hair right now! I just got the car not even 2 weeks ago

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Now heres the main problem today I was driving home noticing there is a Engine knock/ticking noise. Obviously right there I figured it was the bottom end bearing. So I changed the oil immediatly got Mobil 1 synthetic, and changed the filter. As I drained the old oil out there wasn't even a full Quart I drained in the oil pan from the old oil. So I changed everything, and it got a little better but the higher I rev the engine its still there. So I called the dealership im scheduled to bring it in Tuesday morning. Anyone have any experiences like this? thoughts? Also the car has 27,000 miles. It does have the 50,000 warranty I mean GM has to cover this right? Also would I get a rental car lately im just pulling my hair right now! I just got the car not even 2 weeks ago

You've not stated what year/type of warranty, so it's kind of difficult to give a definitive answer regarding coverage.

Lesson learned - never, ever assume that your engine oil is topped up. It's a good idea to check your oil level at least every other time you fill up the gas tank. If it's a used vehicle, I'd check it every time until I was reasonably sure that the engine isn't using oil.

Good luck!

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
06 CTS 3.6 and the warranty is for 50,000 it says bumper to bumper
Assuming nothing hidden in the fine print, GM should take care of you if there is any engine damage. I'd not volunteer that I'd run it low on oil...

Again, read through your warranty carefully to see if a replacement vehicle is offered free of charge should repairs be necessary. Since it's not a new car warranty, I'm not sure - others may know.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
The engine is supposed to have a low oil warning stystem. That being said, as far as I'm concerned running an engine out of oil and burning up the bearings is owner abuse. Let's hope your dealer is more sympathetic than I am.

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got the car less then 2 weeks. So I haven't even had the car long enough to abuse it. The dealer said if there is a problem with the bearing it is covered. But if there are any problems I signed legal documents, and a contract with the original owner so I will just go after him if I have to.

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
by the way I added 2 quarts when I first got the car, never had any lights come on about oil, or it never had any low oil levels. I just found it weird when I changed it today I drained the pan and there wasnt a lot of oil at all

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
The engine is supposed to have a low oil warning stystem. That being said, as far as I'm concerned running an engine out of oil and burning up the bearings is owner abuse. Let's hope your dealer is more sympathetic than I am.
Yeah, with today's cars & the DIC there is not much excuse for running an engine out of oil. Maybe the dealer will be merciful.

Reminds me of back when we were living in Japan (lived there '67 - '71 & '74 - '78). Purchased a little '67 Honda station wagon in '69. Actually, we purchased two years of road tax - the car came with it. Most GIs did it this way - buy a beater with two years of MOT & dump it two years later & buy another.

Anyway, I bought this bucket from the Honda dealer - it had the same little water-cooled 800cc dohc four that they put in their little S-series roadster (a real sweetheart about the size of an Austin Healey Sprite). It'd rev up to about 8500 rpm & flew for a bitty wagon.

They assured me that they'd just changed the oil, so off I went...for about three miles until the engine melted down. The young tech neglected to put the drain plug back in - may not have added oil. The only gauge in the car was fuel - no idiot lights. They replaced the engine the same day!

During the sixties/early seventies Honda was just beginning to build cars for the Japanese market & all of the early ones were powered by motorcycle engines. Went through a number of their little two-cylinder 360cc air-cooled minicars in the seventies. Fun & maybe a bit smaller than today's Smart car. Ran cheap & got us where we wanted to go. Okay when the typical max speed limit was 80k/hr (50mph) & often lower in rural northern Japan.

A bit cool in winter with only air directed from cylinder heads to passenger compartment. Smelly too . Ah, but it was fun...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I just got the car less then 2 weeks. So I haven't even had the car long enough to abuse it. The dealer said if there is a problem with the bearing it is covered. But if there are any problems I signed legal documents, and a contract with the original owner so I will just go after him if I have to.
When you go after former owner, see if you can nail him under the section of the law called "Caveat Emptor."

(Obviously, I am being sarcastic.)

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6 Sport, 6-Speed
189 Posts
This is the second recent post about someone running very low on oil and the DIC did not say anything. Looks like there may be a problem there. Check your oil - I just checked mine.

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you go after former owner, see if you can nail him under the section of the law called "Caveat Emptor."

(Obviously, I am being sarcastic.)
Only reason why I would go after him is because this was a lease transfer. The warranty should cover it because there was no warnings on the DIC. And the previous owner took it for a service check at the end of June so it should be in the records if the oil was low or changed because I just got this car not even 2 weeks ago. Cadillac in my Area said it is under warranty for these kind of problems so im just hoping for the best because I am not getting stuck with this problem.

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts
If the car was on lease it has never been sold. It still belongs to the leasor. The fine print on the lease will determine who is responsible for previous damage if any.

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts
If you lost all the oil in two weeks driving either it left a puddle of oil everywhere you parked or it smokes like a mosquito fogger. There's more to this story that hasn't been told.

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
This is the second recent post about someone running very low on oil and the DIC did not say anything. Looks like there may be a problem there. Check your oil - I just checked mine.
im not sure what is he driving but i believe the first post about oil being gone was an 03` 3.2L

·
Registered
Cadillac
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ill take a picture of it tomm im just a bit upset. But I have the original owner/leaser proof of him stating he had the oil changed very recently so if worst comes to worst ill have to take it to court if im not covered because I didn't spend all this money for a Cadillac with a engine that is knocking within a week of owning it. I called my local dealer he said if there is a knock/bearing problem im covered I just don't wanna deal with them saying abuse because obviously I didn't own it long enough and right away when I heard the knock I changed the oil to Mobil 1 synthetic. Its a 06 3.6 with around 28k sorry guys but yea im a bit pissed off about this.

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts
Koz i dont believe u ever showed us pictures of that new car of yours!!!:)
I've been as busy as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. I've layed nail-down hardwood and tile floors in my living room and entry. Now it's replumbing and updating the baseboard heat. Next is spackle and paint. Since I've retired I have never worked so had in my life. My wife let me sleep in until 7AM today because of the holiday. I'll find a good backdrop and get some pics posted. The best viewpoint in Fairbanks is the top of the pile at the landfill but all the seagulls and ravens mess up your paint.

·
Registered
2007 CTS White Diamond - 1997 Deville Silver Mist
289 Posts
I questioned this when I first got my CTS several months ago. My Eldo had an oil level sensing system that warned you when the car ran a quart short of oil. It appears that the CTS does not have this warning system. That was a nice feature. I'm surprised it was not included on the CTS. However, it does have a low oil pressure light that should come on if the oil is critically low.

·
Registered
03 White/Diamond CTS (sold)
1,663 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts