Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SRX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2006 SRX and the day after i brought it home - during its first real drive in rush hour LI-NY traffic the check engine light came
on and then engine sputters usually around 1800-2000 rpm range.

I bought the car this past Tuesday - i call the dealer Thursday and the young sales person said things like:
-well we had to drive it 100 miles to pass inspections
-i drove it with no issues
-its made of metal and things happen
-you didnt buy the extended warranty (what does that have to do with anything!!!!!)

ALL OF THESE ARE RED FLAGS

This seems to be a recurring problem with these cars and this is beyond unacceptable. I am having a code reader sent to my house tomorrow
so i can scan the engine and have the dealer replace everything under the sun withiin the lemon laws requirement of 30 days.

I am also telling them they have 25 days from my date of purchase to have this running perfectly or i am reporting this car as a lemon and
demanding a full return and refund as well as notices to my credit agency clearing the notices since i did finance it.

Minus what i have read already is there any advice or pointers anyone can share with me? Id really like to keep this car but i dont need a lemon.

NONE OF MY OTHER CRAS EVER DID THIS - Not my Geo Prizm, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Altima or my Chevy Camaro (Camaro is my new baby
but all others where driven flawlessly well into the 130-160k+ mile range)

Here are the details:
Dealer: Long Island Auto Finds
Model: SRX
VIN: 1GYEE637460180945

Will GM or any other dealer help me or swap, replace, repair this or should i be considering banning all GM cars in the future and ensuring none
of my family and friends get on either : ( i like the look of GM cars so lets fix this so I can remain a fan.

----------

I forgot the Miles are at approx 87,000

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
NY has lemon laws for ten year old cars? Wow, where I live it would be " As Is" unless you bought some type of warranty.
No doubt the fine experts here can help you out once you report the codes you find. But I've never heard of a used car dealer being obligated to fix "Everything under the sun" ??
Maybe you got some bad gas?

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,150 Posts
Lemon laws extend to freshly sold used vehicles in most places. My first instinct was clogged fuel filter, esp if the vehicle has been sitting a while. My second instinct went to the hurricane you guys had - hopefully it is not a flood victim. I am not sure if there is a way to check.

You are on the right track. Get the codes as soon as possible (Autozone and others will do this for free), look up the codes and see what you are in for.

·
Registered
2006 SRX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is less then 10 years old and lemons be lemons and If i cant drive the care normally from day 1 im pretty sure my legal counsel can prove to a judge its a lemon regardless. But i like the car and dont want to go down that road at all.

Ill post the codes once i get them. I did let the gas get close to empty then filled it where i get my Camaro filled.

"Everything under the sun" Yes from chains, to spark plugs to converters to the entire tranny. Dealer said it was a good car.

They can either make it so or take it back.

----------

will do - and very good points

·
Registered
2006 SRX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Codes have been pulled and here they are fully detailed:

PO430
Type:power Train
Description: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold
Distance Traveled Since DTC's Cleared 317.52 (did they clear this before i bought it? i only drove 200 miles so far)

PO302
Type:power Train
ECU: $7E8
Description: Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
Distance Traveled Since DTC's Cleared 317.52 (did they clear this before i bought it? i only drove 200 miles so far)

Here are snap shots of the car scans:
Check Engine Light Snip1.A 053115.JPG
Check Engine Light Snip2.A 053115.JPG
Check Engine Light Snip3.A 053115.JPG
Check Engine Light Snip4 053115.JPG
Check Engine Light Snip5 053115.JPG

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
First reaction, looks like you went to an inspection station for the code read, Try a parts store. It's been driven 317 miles since they think they fixed the problems, their 100 plus your 200. Both codes are pending and not yet set, needs more drive cycles to set. Looks like they did some stopgap fix, don't know what.
Will dig deeper tomorrow.

·
Registered
SRX
4 Posts
I had the same problem with my 06 at 82000 miles. Misfire code on cyl #2. A new coil pack and plugs did the trick. Runs great now.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Well, FixIt, since you're dealing with a seller and not repairing it yourself it's a bit more complicated. The seller is not likely to appreciate or respect suggestions from some internet nut, because the "seller knows best", so you're somewhat limited in what you can realistically do. Anyhow-
Contact a GM dealer or the Customer Service rep. on this forum with your VIN to see if the converters are covered by the special extended warranty. One is going out or has wiring issues, usually in the pigtail.
As to the miss, check simple things, compression etc. Then try moving injector then coil to a different cylinder to see if the miss follows. Finally, inspect the MAF sensor and TB and clean if necessary.
Your problems for a 10 year old car aren't major and if you like the car I wouldn't let them keep you from it. I also understand your angst and believe the seller should make good. Just keep an eye on the oil level. Good luck.

·
Registered
2006 SRX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i just got the car back after making an appointment with the dealerships service department and so far the ride home was very smooth. The car for now does not show any signs of the issue i experienced before.

The mechanic told me they replaced a coil and a spark plug (just like JaRob mentioned above). So im hoping the issue is resolved.

I love the truck and def want to keep it so i am a happy camper.

----------

I didnt go to an inspection station : P I bought a ScanTool ElmScan 5 Compact ODB-II (to USB) adapter/reader. I used the free OBDwiz software
which is where the screen came from. They have more advanced software but i haven't ventured into those since i am still learning the ropes.

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
Well, FixIt, since you're dealing with a seller and not repairing it yourself it's a bit more complicated. The seller is not likely to appreciate or respect suggestions from some internet nut, because the "seller knows best", so you're somewhat limited in what you can realistically do. Anyhow-
Contact a GM dealer or the Customer Service rep. on this forum with your VIN to see if the converters are covered by the special extended warranty. One is going out or has wiring issues, usually in the pigtail.
As to the miss, check simple things, compression etc. Then try moving injector then coil to a different cylinder to see if the miss follows. Finally, inspect the MAF sensor and TB and clean if necessary.
Your problems for a 10 year old car aren't major and if you like the car I wouldn't let them keep you from it. I also understand your angst and believe the seller should make good. Just keep an eye on the oil level. Good luck.
I lived at Interlochen for 20 years! Wonderful place to be! Been gone since 86 & keep thinking about coming back to Gods country! Especially now that we are retired & would not have to go to work in the winter! Heh..Heh
Glake = Green lake?

To the OP; glad you got it fixed!

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Brad,
Yep and there's a nice place just down the shore that's up for sale.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts