Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on cleaning my TB in the next few days,I've read it's not good to use carb. cleaner, if I cant find actual TB cleaner would it be okay to use gas?, aside from being careful.

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
I honestly think TB and carb cleaner are the same thing. Both exist to remove the same kind of deposits. I think its just labeled as TB cleaner because there is less of a market for folks who own carbs. If any can show me that they really are different, I'd appreciate it. :D I've always used ''(sTp) Carb and Throttle Body Cleaner" on my cars and I've never had a problem. TB cleaner alone is no match for TB cleaner plus a good scrubbing with an old toothbrush. I dont recommend using it when the motor is hot as it will vaporise instantly and the fumes pack a wallop..... dont ask how i know...

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly think TB and carb cleaner are the same thing. Both exist to remove the same kind of deposits. I think its just labeled as TB cleaner because there is less of a market for folks who own carbs. If any can show me that they really are different, I'd appreciate it. :D I've always used ''(sTp) Carb and Throttle Body Cleaner" on my cars and I've never had a problem. TB cleaner alone is no match for TB cleaner plus a good scrubbing with an old toothbrush. I dont recommend using it when the motor is hot as it will vaporise instantly and the fumes pack a wallop..... dont ask how i know...
I would trust a product marked carb and TB cleaner,I did a search and found a number of posts saying not to use carb. cleaner for cleaning TB,
apparently there could be ingredients in it that could harm the TB metal.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
I think the only precaution is not to use it on plastic and rubber parts. It can't possibly hurt metal parts. If you have a manual, you will see that the TBI is an easier thing to work on compared to most carbs. I wouldn't recommend taking the fuel pressure regulator on the TBI apart unless you have done it before. The diaphram in it has to be assembled in a kind of fussy manner.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the only precaution is not to use it on plastic and rubber parts. It can't possibly hurt metal parts. If you have a manual, you will see that the TBI is an easier thing to work on compared to most carbs. I wouldn't recommend taking the fuel pressure regulator on the TBI apart unless you have done it before. The diaphram in it has to be assembled in a kind of fussy manner.
I found some of the old posts saying not to use carb. cleaner for TB,Here's one, do not use any solvent that contains methyl ethyl ketone(MEK)
as it may damage fuel system components. I guess carb. cleaner contains MEK.

·
Registered
1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles
368 Posts
The problem goes back to a time when some of the carb cleaners had ingredients which could damage O2 sensors. If the can says it's safe for O2 sensors you're good to go.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
I think you would be OK if the TBI is removed from the manifold. I use MEK by the gallon for cleaning some things, and it doesn't like plastic parts.

That gasket under the TBI is expensive, by the way!!

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,559 Posts
For what it's worth I still use Gumout carb cleaner (because I still have some). It works great and I have yet to have any problems. When it is gone I'll probably use TB cleaner.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For what it's worth I still use Gumout carb cleaner (because I still have some). It works great and I have yet to have any problems. When it is gone I'll probably use TB cleaner.
Thanks, I found some actual TB cleaner.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
Yeah, I use either carb or TB, whatever I can find. Most important thing IMHO is to avoid spraying electrical connections. Just keep the spray accurate on the TB alone and dont go crazy lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts