Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
My experience posted here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/108166-quality-air-intake-needed.html?highlight=believe+difference+intake+throttle+body#post1097648

<nutshell>
  • Small SOTP/Dyno results from adding LPE CAI
  • No results from adding ported TB
  • Big difference when I added FFV intake tube, couldn't believe it
  • Concluded that tube was a big restriction, and chanigning it alllowed TB and CAI to realize potential.
</nutshell>

Obviously your results may vary.

-Chris

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Trukk-

I've always been a little hesitant about the straight intake tube, perhaps you can help me overcome it. My biggest issue is that the stock intake tube has a "crossbar" that mirrors the TB when the blade is fully open- I'm assuming that the purpose of it it to "split" the incoming air to better clear the rod on the throttle blade, and it seems like sound engineering to me.

Have you had any drivability issues since changing, such as surging at low RPM, or any check engine lights related to airflow or fuel trim? The intake system on these cars is so temperamental, I just don't want to give it any more reasons to throw a MIL at me.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
Toss the crossbar. It's there to keep the tube from collapsing in Sahara-like heat at WFO.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Really? I'll be damned.

I figured it had to be good for power since you know your stuff Rick, I just wasn't sure about the rest. Off it goes then....

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
Trukk-

I've always been a little hesitant about the straight intake tube, perhaps you can help me overcome it. My biggest issue is that the stock intake tube has a "crossbar" that mirrors the TB when the blade is fully open- I'm assuming that the purpose of it it to "split" the incoming air to better clear the rod on the throttle blade, and it seems like sound engineering to me.

Have you had any drivability issues since changing, such as surging at low RPM, or any check engine lights related to airflow or fuel trim? The intake system on these cars is so temperamental, I just don't want to give it any more reasons to throw a MIL at me.

Thanks in advance.
Tony,

Sorry for the delay in gettin back to you. I have very mild surging every now and again, but that occured after my TB install, so that appears to be the culprit. It is very mild (+100 RPM off idle, then it will settle), so I just live with it.

I've had a CEL lit for the past 6 Months, due to my rear 02's. I need to get them tuned out, then I'll be good. I get it checked every now and again to make sure there are no other codes thrown in for good measure, and there haven't been.

As far as the stock 'squeeze tube', I was always under th impression that the indent was in there for either NVH, or more probabaly to stabilize the tube at higher WOT vacuum's.

Note that my car is an '05, and isn't a CAN equiped car, so my PCM may not be quick enough to pick up some minor airflow fluctuations and compensate vs an LS2's PCM. Unsure what a straight tube would do to an '06+. At best nothing, at worst it would need some tuning.

Like I said in my post, I was very surprised what that rub swap did for me.

-Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts