Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been so long since I had a car with bias ply's ( Other than my race car) that I really don't remember much.
I do sort of recall that when radials came out I really did not like them. They seemed kind of Squishy to me. Like not as good a feel of the road. Not a firm stable ride sort of.
I wonder if any one is running Bias Ply's on their 70's Caddy?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,471 Posts
Why ??? For handling, safety, ride control and treadwear today's radials are head and shoulders above the old automotive bias ply tires.

Surf through the TireRack site for tire info and pricing

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35&

Squishy ? Invest in a set of V-rated (or the hideously expensive W/X rated) performance radials and ask yourself "??? Squishy ???". Take a look at what tires come on the world's fastest automobiles.......... and what tires are run on racetracks.

http://www.racegoodyear.com/innovation/track_street.html

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Not on a daily driver... Bias suck compared to radials. Now if you have a trailer queen or show only car I would run them as if the car had them originally they give the proper look having a harder sidewall.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
I run bias plys on my '57 Mercury. It came from the factory with them and they give it the proper stance. Radials just don't look right on it.
As mentioned, though, they are not ideal for a daily driver. Traction is not as good and they have a tendency to try and follow diagonal cracks in the road.

I don't think I would put them on a '70's Cadillac. Radial tires were readily available then and they look fine on these cars. Just make sure you get tires with the proper whitewall stripe. :)

·
Registered
2003 deville
604 Posts
I have heard of some of the very early first radials were as the op described, but those are nothing like now. A 70s Cadillac would have been engineered with radials and a bias would look odd as well as worse handling etc...

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
If I remember correctly, 1973 was the first year that radials were optional on Cadillacs from the factory. I'm not sure when they became standard.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tag on my new 77 Deville calls for GR78 x 15's

·
Registered
1955 CDV, 1992 Allante, 1962 Olds 88 Conv
201 Posts
I have bias plys on my '55 CDV. They are a world of difference from the feel of the radials on my '62 Olds, and not for the better. They do not track well at all. Nor do they give one a feel of the road, in my opinion. What they do do is force you to pay attention to where the car is pointed and where it is going!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heh...Heh; The verdict is in! I'll keep the new set of radials that came on the car. Just an old fart living in the past I guess! I am going to buy an extra wheel and tire for a spare though. Not real confident in the 40 year old inflatable spare & air canister in the trunk!

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Back in the 80's I had a 57 Buick Century, I never enjoyed driving it, aside from the nostalgic charm, until I replaced the tires with Radials.
I was literally driving away from the tire store laughing out loud I was so amazed what a difference it made. Drove 15 miles laughing like a fool all by myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts