Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
04 CTS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.5 amp battery charger/maintainer with float mode monitoring. I used to use it on my Benz when away for several weeks (battery would always die possibly due to alarm). Just wondering if there's anything related to the CTS electronics that I shouldn't use one. I'll be gone almost 4 weeks.

TIA for any advice,

Brad

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
I have a Battery Tender Plus that I used on my '02 vette during winter storage. Though they say you can, I never left it on for more than a couple days at a time. (I also use it on my JD tractor which is more important to have a full charge in the winter!)

·
Banned
394 Posts
battery tender is the best way to go...it shut down when the battery is full...then turn on when needed. I have heard trickle charge is bad for any battery. I have it on my hot rod because i dont drive it often.

I had a boat with trickle charger over the winter. It kills the battery...short period might be OK.

·
Registered
04 CTS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wratran:

I think I have what you're talking about when you say "tender". THis has a 'float mode" and only charges as needed.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm off to Asia on business, sure wish I could peddle around in my CTS there, but alas it'll be bumper to bumper in run down taxis with mad dog drivers!

I'll look forward to my return and the calm of the CTS!

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
when storing for a long period I take off one pole of the battery. For a new car that would probably reset your DIC settings? But for my Ol' 70 it's perfect...

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
I use an automatic trickle charger on my '72 Corvette. I seem to have a slow discharge somewhere and I need the trickle charger for the winters. I've never found a need on the CTS. AC Delco had a rash of bad batteries that I was unfornate enough to get one. It was replaced under warranty.

I think only members like Koz who lives in Fairbanks Alaska would need a charger on a late model CTS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts