Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard it said by friends who have owned Rolls-Royces, that they are not really great cars, but merely great furniture! Any opinions?

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
They're not very fast. They're slow compared to other cars in their price range, they weigh almost 7000lbs, they can't handle. The only thing they do have is that they can get an AMAZING 25mpg. (I'm not being sarcastic. 25mpg out of a 7000lb car that has a V12? not to shabby)

From a performance aspect, they're junk. From a luxury-lovers aspect, they're the best thing since sliced bread.

As a lover of both performance and luxury: I'd rather have an Audi R8.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
ME TOO! 2nd pick is a Jag XK-R Convertible.

·
Registered
E
1,313 Posts
They're not very fast. They're slow compared to other cars in their price range, they weigh almost 7000lbs, they can't handle. The only thing they do have is that they can get an AMAZING 25mpg. (I'm not being sarcastic. 25mpg out of a 7000lb car that has a V12? not to shabby)

From a performance aspect, they're junk. From a luxury-lovers aspect, they're the best thing since sliced bread.

Right...cause the Audi R8 and a Rolls Royce are in the same category.

Thats like saying Id rather have a stick of wrigleys gum instead of that filet mignon over there.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I wanna see the road test where somebody eeked 25mpg out of a Roller.

It's probably the finest "driving your couch" sort of car made. So in that effect, I guess it is only great furniture.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Well, what else would it be?

Cars can generally be placed into 3 categories:

1) transportation

2) fun

3) living room

My personal pick is #2.

But, what each person defines as each category varies between individuals. Example, for me, if it has an automatic, then in most cases, it will not be #2. If it is an automatic convertible, then it may be #2. If it is a manual trans convertible, then it is #2.

What makes a "really great car" is a personal opinion. I own/have owned vehicles that I thought were "really great" that others wouldn't own willingly.

Sometimes you'll get a car that overlaps a category, or would be a category+, but still fall into that category:

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts

Huh?

I'm not quite sure what planet you've been living on, but the standard Phantom only weighs about 5500lbs (the Drophead adds about 200lbs and the LWB adds about 300lbs - heavy, but by no means 7000lbs)... Combined with it's BMW-derived 6.75L V12 that makes 453HP and 531lb-ft of torque, the big sedan will get from 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and will cross the 1/4-mile in 14.3 seconds...

Not exactly what I'd call "slow" and is pretty amazing itself, much more so than the fuel economy - which is more along the lines of 14-16mpg combined, not 25 (even its hwy mpg 19-20 tops).

As far as its handling is concerned, despite its still appreciable heft the Phantom does boast near 50/50 weight distribution... Can pull .84g on the skid pad and can run the slalom at 57mph... Not exactly paltry either.

Either way... Seeing as how the majority of cars in its price range are supercars, it's not really fair to compare it to such. Compared to other cars in it's range and class, they pretty much lead the pack in terms of performance.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I stand corrected, the information I was looking at in fact was displaying GVW. Of course this makes its 25mpg highway rating (from the RR website) slightly less of an amazing feat. Still, for a car of that price, if you want a couch on wheels, get a Rolls. If you want an amazing car, get a Pagani Zonda R.

If you're looking at class rather then price range, you have this:

Which bests the Rolls in performance, and you can have three of them for the price of a Phantom.

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
Yes but it's just an Audi.

A Rolls is not about driving dynamics, although it's not terrible given the size, it's about craftsmanship and the highest quality materials and the most comfortable and quiet place to be in. You generally don't drive a Rolls anyway, you have a chauffeur for that. It's the passenger experience that matters.

Nothing says "I've made it" than a Rolls. You're driving the highest quality thing on the road with a heritage that is unmatched by anything else out there.
It just oozes class, sophistication, money etc. If you want to argue a Mercades S-Class is a better drive or has some measurable "thing" that is better then fine, but you're missing the point.

Sometimes on my way home from work I'd see an S-Class Mercades pull up alongside and I'd look at the guy and think: "you've done well in life."
Then a Rolls pulls up on the far side with the owner in the back reading the Financial Times and I think "but he's done better..."

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Owning a Rolls is about owning the finest car money can buy, and not giving a shit what anyone else thinks. It's bold & brash which is not something some people wanna see in hard economic times. It's an object of desire and an object of rarity. Most anyone can get into a Mercedes S Class of some sort :halo: , but it takes a hell of a bank account to get behind the wheel of a Rolls, regardless of it's age.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
A Rolls to me is nothing but fine craftsmanship. They are not particularly luxurious (from a technology point of view) and the interiors have always looked horribly dated, but it is made of only the finest materials fitted perfectly in the car. The newer ones have finally caught up on the technology and interior design aspect, but as an example here is the interior from a 1996 model year. The giant silver knobs look like they came straight out of a car they made in the 60's. The door panels looks like they could have been made in the Soviet Union at around the same time for about $10.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Yeah, that's what I never understood. Why didn't Rolls and Bentley put more technology in their old models? It's not like their clientele couldn't have afforded it. A contemporary S Class or 7 Series would have much more in terms of electronics and such.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
If you really want to look at the faces behind the lables, the Roller is a BMW and the Audi is a Porsche. I think I'd rather have a Porsche. :p

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
I think the OP missed the whole point of owning a Rolls Royce. It is NOT about the driving experience, its about the experience from the back seat. My friend has a 1960 Silver Cloud, and you do feel like the King of England riding around in that thing. The craftsmanship of that car is simply impeccible, and back then they were engineering marvels. 4 speed automatic transmission, 6.2 liter V8(the basic design was used until the 90's), aluminum cylinder heads, twin carbs, aluminum doors, air conditioning, etc

His car also had the rare "parade" top. It looked like a giant sunroof, with a canvas top that slid back over the entire length of the roof. This allowed the person in the back seat to stand up through the roof and wave at people.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Nooooo.....VW is the main company. Porsche is one of their subsidiaries.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
My Father bought a '96 Bentley Turbo R back in 2006.. he had it for 5 months. It was made for you to sit in the back seat and be driven around. The woodwork and leather were amazing.. but the car was quirky and had no performance feel. This was after owning three V12 Mercedes and BMW sedans... so they sold it for a 760Li which is now being replaced by a S65.

One thing I can say is the Bentley received more attention than any other high end car he has owned.

I wonder how the Continental GT and Flying Spur drive since they have a VW/Audi heritage?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts