Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XTS4, 2010 DTS (gone), '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 will be going in for its semi-annual service and tire change next month. It has about 72,000 kms behind it, but started fine in this tough winter we just had.

Question: after 5-and-a-bit years, should I get the battery replaced while it is at the dealer? And if so, use a GM battery or an after-market brand put in elsewhere?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Have a load test put on it to check the condition. I wouldn't drop the dime on dealer battery. They are one of those things may last years or go out tomorrow.

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
My 2010 will be going in for its semi-annual service and tire change next month. It has about 72,000 kms behind it, but started fine in this tough winter we just had.

Question: after 5-and-a-bit years, should I get the battery replaced while it is at the dealer? And if so, use a GM battery or an after-market brand put in elsewhere?
I have always took very good care of my batteries. Not playing music with the car off and so on.

My battery is the original from the factory and is over 7 years old and has come through another tough winter shining for spring. I would not spend the money on the battery and with all the gremlins in the DTS electronics I will only buy a new one in about 5-10 years:canttalk: from the dealer.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,504 Posts
On the other hand, I change batteries in my 3 (used to be 4) vehicles every 5 - 6 years. P P P P P P.

Don't take my word for it - get into any or all of the several automotive battery manufacturer websites and study up on battery care, feeding, construction and life. Rolls, East Penn, DEKA, Surrette, Exide, Gould.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We have an '08 Lux III, 34k miles, started great every time. We replaced the original battery in dec 2013. We had them put the car on a temp power source during the change. We decided that the old battery didn't owe us a thing and figured safer than sorry!

·
Registered
53 Posts
My battery is OEM original 8 years old. I charge it when ever the car sits over a week or we go thru a cold snap if I think about it. When I bought the car I got the shot gun sound thru the radio on start up after a cold night. Put a charger on it over night had it load tested and passed, never had the issue again. Had the car 4 years now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts