Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2003 CTS with bose and nav and no XM, How do can I use my ipod with my car? I am so confused! Is it true the only people that can are the ones with XM? Please help!! I would really like to get rid of the 10,000 burned cd's that are laying in my car! haha

Thanks!

·
Registered
04 CTS SPORT/LUX W/NAVI LIGHT PLATINUM ON BLACK- COOL MODS!
1,313 Posts
That doesn't make sense. If you have a nav, you should have an XM output in your radio?? Anyone want to confirm this?

I think i remember reading something about early 03s possibly not having XM outputs?

Unless you get a whole new radio that has ipod integration, you will need an XM output to be able to use your ipod.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a way to buy an XM output? Yah I do not have XM.. so yah.. So that is the only way..?

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,824 Posts
How do you mean you don't have XM? Are you saying that you don't have the XM hardware at all? Or that you don't pay for it, but still have the hardware there?

If you have the hardware there, then you are all set. There is no need to pay for XM to do the iPod mod.

KOT

·
Registered
04 cts
73 Posts
if i remember correctly i thought i read that you can have the dealer activate your xm and then you can do the ipod wiring. i may be wrong but if you search you will find your answer because i know ive read a bunch of threads bout this

·
Registered
04 CTS SPORT/LUX W/NAVI LIGHT PLATINUM ON BLACK- COOL MODS!
1,313 Posts
If you do not have an XM output your only option, without buying a whole new unit, is to use an FM transmitter. They are relativley cheap but the quality isnt too good.

If you dont know how an FM transmitter works, well it's a cord that you plug in through the ciragette lighter and when you set your radio to station # 88.7 it will play the songs on your ipod.

·
Registered
04 CTS 3.6L "The Gray Ghost"(R.I.P), 05 CTS 3.6L "Fin"
369 Posts
Depending on where you live, the FM transmitter actually work pretty well. I have one and I live in Chicago. There are a ton of radio stations and it is hard to get good reception through the Fm transmitter. However, when I go on road trips through the country where the stations start to die out, the transmitter starts to get really good reception.

Radio stations broadcast at .2 intervals on the frequency range(88.7, 88.9, 89.1 etc...), so using the Fm transmitter, you get your IPOD reception along with slight static from the next closest radio broadcast. Which in turn gives you shitty IPOD reception. If you ever noticed that tuning your radio to .1 below a station you get static and some of the broadcast. Radio station 93.1 will actually come in (very bad) tuned into 93.0 or 93.2.

If you live in a urban area, your best bet would be to get a dealer to unlock your XM and do the IPOD mod. If you live in a rural area, try the transmitter, they're relatively cheap.

·
Registered
04 CTS 3.6L "The Gray Ghost"(R.I.P), 05 CTS 3.6L "Fin"
369 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, if you have nav, then you have XM capabilities. You might not have the actual hardware, but your radio can hande the XM input.
After it is unlocked, you would just wire in your IPOD like you would an aftermarket XM reciever.

Again, I might be mistaken

·
Registered
2004 CTS
37 Posts
I didn't take pics of the install, and actually , the pic I sent you of the modulator looks like it plugs into RCA jacks, the one I have plugs directly into the antenna port, and has a on/off switch that requires power. A stereo shop hooked me up with the one I got so I am not exactly sure where to get it?

-Josh

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ah damn, ok I will just go to a shop and see if it is possible if they might have access to one! thanks!

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
86 Posts
No you cannot control your IPOD through the steering wheel controles when using an FM modulator. Think of it this way, instead of broadcasting a signal, you are bypassing the broadcasting and sending it straight into the headunit. And most of them seperate your signal from the others trying to get into your sterio.

So basically you are remote controling what goes into your sterio, your IPOD with the exception of being hooked into the headphones jack will be on it's own.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
19 Posts
I was looking into doing this myself. Does anyone have the pa11-vette installed and can comment on how it works?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts