Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used a usb data cable instead of the gm supplied Ipod cable and was able to transfer my entire Ipod library to the hard drive...

·
Registered
Cadillac
338 Posts
Sounds like a bug? I hope it's a bug that's there for the whole model year.
Dubbed Stealth - which iPod model did you use? Did the songs you bought from the iTunes store (assuming you have done so) transfer? Do those protected songs play? It would be awesome it's something that happens to older generations of iPod because I am too stubborn (cheap) to update mine.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI
63 Posts
Heh... I just tried the same thing this morning... AND IT WORKED. Just plug in your iPod with the iPod USB cable (NOT the GM cord, which I did not receive) and push the RECORD button. Your whole iPod gets downloaded to the Hard Drive. Set your speakers to CenterPoint and IT ROCKS!

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI
63 Posts
OK... so I looked a little more into this. It didnt transfer ALL the songs on my iPod. It only transferred the files that I sourced from file sharing websites, not iTunes. All the songs I bought on iTunes stayed on the iPod and didnt copy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK... so I looked a little more into this. It didnt transfer ALL the songs on my iPod. It only transferred the files that I sourced from file sharing websites, not iTunes. All the songs I bought on iTunes stayed on the iPod and didnt copy.
Yeah...I wouldn't expect the DRM'd iTunes stuff to transfer. The music downloaded through iTunes is in apple's protected .aac format and the car's HDD does not play this format natively (the CD player does - will at lease the non-DRM'd .aac format, but probably not the HDD). It would make sense actually that protected .aac format files are prevented from copying due to the obvious DRM concerns. DRM is handled in the iTunes software, not your iPod so the car would have no way of knowing if you actually "owned" the .aac files you were transferring to it without a check machanism back to appple's servers (that's what your iTunes software does). Think about it - if this functionality were avaialable then all your friends would be able to copy the contents of their personal iPods (DRM'd or not) to your car and "viola" - instant music library that you did not pay for! That would probably cause all kinds of legal headaches for GM.

Of course, there IS software out there you can use to strip the DRM from the .aac files, then you can convert them to .mp3 and...

·
Banned
Cadillac
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quick update: Tried to use a co-workers Ipod and.......... You guessed it! It didnt work? We need to find a way to unlock this!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
It's a workaround, but you can burn the .aac files off the iPod to a CD as .mp3 files using Nero, then insert the CD and hit Record.

I didn't just say that, by the way. :halo:

·
Banned
Cadillac
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let be more detailed....

I used a co-workers Ipod that didnt have any Itunes songs on it. He owned all the music and or were mp3 files.
The unit said it wasnt a reconizable device.....

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Did you try downloading using the GM cable? I suppose it depends on where the music came from. Some Sony CDs had some really nasty DRM software on them (the subject of a recent lawsuit, actually). Other than that, I haven't run into any problems yet.

·
Banned
Cadillac
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tony I think your misunderstanding......

I started this thread to share that I was able to use a data usb cable to download all my Ipod songs on to my hard drive. It was PERFECT!

So then I thought, I would borrow someone else's Ipod and download their songs onto my hard drive....Wrong didnt work.

I think it may have something to do with Ipod upgrades installed????????

I have tried it on different cars, we have in stock...

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Well I suppose I don't understand what you're asking in posts #11 and 13 then. If you were able to download .acc files to your HDD and they work, consider yourself extremely lucky. I don't understand how they would even play as .acc isn't a supported music format in the CTS. If you're looking for a workaround for transferring purchased songs onto your HDD, use the method I posted earlier. Any "hacking" to make them transferable would need to be done on the data side (the iPod), not the CTS's HDD.

iPod songs should transfer to the HDD only if they are WMA or MP3 format, and not purchased through the iTunes store.

·
Banned
Cadillac
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I am saying is not all Ipods will allow you to download the music into the HDD. Mine worked fine.
However a co-workers Ipod would not work in my car or any other car we have in stock.

Yes it will play music with the GM supplied cord.
It wont download the music with a ipod cord into the hard drive

·
Registered
'05 V8 STS
2 Posts
I would imagine that older generation ipods would not have the ability to transfer. I thought I heard somewhere that only 5G and up ipods worked with the CTS. Anyone verify?

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Here is a question can you store video to the hard drive and I heard it's a forty gig drive I bet you could swap it to a massively bigger drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Let be more detailed....

I used a co-workers Ipod that didnt have any Itunes songs on it. He owned all the music and or were mp3 files.
The unit said it wasnt a reconizable device.....
Do you know if disk use is enabled on your friend's iPod (its not set that way by default)? The car has no way of discriminating between iPods, so I have to assume that the way music transfer is enabled is to make it visible to the car's HDD as a storage device (like a USB drive). If disk use is not enabled on the iPod, the car does not know what to do with it (using a reguar USB data cable anyway).

Verify that and try again...I gotta think it will work.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts