Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
FAQ is your Friend
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I tested the new iPod kit with XM (allowing you to keep XM) today... It worked... I documented the install so you all will have instructions...

The vendor is telling me that they will have the kit available for $175 toward the end of November. The vendor will not be releasing a non XM version (as I had stated in previous post). If you dont already have XM (regular CTS owners), the kit will work, but you will need to take it to your dealer to have them enable the XM band (they may charge you, they may not). This will work in any CTS that is XM ready (2004 and above I think)

I will post the instructions very soon. I just thought I would let all you guys who wanted to keep the XM know (and all you guys who e-mailed me).

Reed

·
Registered
86 Posts
Amazing! Can you tell us anything about the iPod side of the setup? Does it include a dock? A mounting bracket? What does all this look like?

Gotta have one!

Skeeter

·
FAQ is your Friend
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does come with a mount... to be honest I have not even taken that out of the bag yet. I will do it tomorrow and take a picture for you. i have everything wired up, now I am going to work on cleaning it up a bit for the "supercool" effect....

Reed

·
Registered
466 Posts
:hmm: Reed, can you reveal the manufactuer and/or vendor?

·
FAQ is your Friend
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He asked me to wait so as not to get bombarded by everyone asking for a kit now... I hope to be able to by the end of the week... Sorry... I must repect their wishes...

Also, here is the bracket that same with my prototype. I think they will bundle this with the release kit as well. (link is a pdf so it might take a sec to load)

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/ipodkit/ipodbracket.pdf

Reed

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm absolutely in. If you're making a list already, definately put me on. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'm in. Thanks Reed for getting this kit with the XM too!! Perfect now!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Will that 6th side button always be used to switch between XM and the iPod (as in you'll lose the 6th XM preset when in XM mode)? When switching to the XM band from other bands, will it be in iPod mode or XM mode by default?

Thanks, and nice work!

·
FAQ is your Friend
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought about that and the best I can figure out is that it will still set that preset even though it switches to the ipod.. so you just need to press that button and release before pressing and holding to switch to the ipod input. Even though it switches the input, it will still set the preset.

Reed

·
Registered
101 Posts
Seriously though, iPOD video is something that should be considered, because if you could hook-up your iPOD video to the infotainment system that would just be insanely awesome.
--EG

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Reed,

Good work as usual, young man. Now if only I had an iPod, I could take advantage of your labors.

My dilemma is thus: got an IPAQ with a 1 GB SD card that I use for contacts, calendar, to-do, notes, books, music (WMA), and occasionally movies (via DVD-to-PocketPC software). Got a couple of flash-based MP3 players. Got a dumb cell phone paid by the company.

Thinking that an iPOD would be nice, especially a Nano (small form factor, but enough storage for my level of music interest). On the other hand, a 4GB SD card can be had for the price of a Nano, giving my IPAQ the same capacity. On the other hand, the video iPOD (though bulkier than the Nano) will no doubt eventually have better capability for showing movies than my IPAQ ever will. On the other hand, if my company ever loosens up their telecommunications policies, I could get an IPAQ-based smart phone and carry one less thing all the time.

On the other hand, I have four fingers and a thumb. F'ing technology!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
About this Discussion
122 Replies
35 Participants
ctsvett