Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive read alot of the posts on this kit, i just want to make sure before i spend the money...

main concern is will it work with my 05 cts. i have the band button, but not sure what XM is refering to, satellite radio? i know when i cycle through the band, i do not have this option "XM". if i understand correctly, all i need is the xm enable with the instructions provided?

next, i saw the diagram posted, would i get the song name displayed on my non nav system?

lastly, after installing, what option under band will this mod give me? "ipod" or "xm"?

thanks everyone

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The XM menu's won't show up unless you have an XM tuner installed, and it's detected by the DIC or Nav software. XM is satellite ratio, but if you install the iPod adapter, I'm pretty sure it uses the existing XM menus for displaying the songs, title, artist, etc, and for control (next song, etc), since the DICs and Navs have no software installed in firmware for an iPod. My take is it basically tricks the head unit into thinking it's got a satellite tuner installed, but feeds it data and audio from your iPod. It doesn't know the difference.

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
Photo. video ipods will not work 100 % fyi...

Yes, you will be able to get this kit to work.. You will need your dealer to program the XM band..

It will say XM (not ipod)... You will get song titles on the display...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Reed,

Any idea when radios&more is going to fix this interface prob. with the Video ipod? I'm waiting to buy my kit until it's fixed... Thanks!

Jon

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so what would be the best option?

-ipod mod using the kit?
-wireless transmitter
-in dash mp3
-or maybe indash dvd pioneer N2 (long shot and i know this is best option)

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Well, 'best' and 'easiest' are definitely two different things.

IMHO, a wireless transmitter will be inexpensive and simple, but you'll still have to control the iPod itself. The Radios and More kit is likely the best solution, as you'll operate the whole thing via the head unit, and it will be hardwired. You can hide the iPod in the console storage.

Installing aftermarket radio in a CTS is not the way to go, as you no one makes a replacement head unit. Several have installed one, replacing the ashtray, but it's irreversible and has to be hacked into your amp, since it also has a Class 2 interface.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
Why not use an FM modulator?? Ive tried the FM transmitter and its absolute garbage. But an FM modulator just plugs in through your antenna wire. Seems much easier than the XM/Ipod thing. Anyone had experince with FM modulators?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm also interested in learning about the FM modulator. Seems much less invasive then the Radiosandmore solution. I don't really care about having to control the iPod itself; I kinda think it would be easier that way. I have about 28gigs of music on my iPod and I don't use playlists, just artists. So, from what I heard about how the radiosandmore kit interfaces, it would be a pain for me to navigate through 28gigs of just artists on my radio. Just my un-informed opinion.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I called Harmon Kardon today and they said that the new Video iPod works just fine with their kit. I like this kit better than the radiosandmore for a couple of reasons. First, when I eventually switch cars I will be able to take this with me. Second, I have an XM radio that I currently use an FM transmitter with. With the harmon kardon kit, I can use their aux input and get a much better sound. Third, the "controller" or "knob" is FAR superior to navigating an iPod with your stock radio buttons. It has a rotating click wheel, just like your iPod. It also sounds like this will be a much simpler process to install. Fourth (and my favorite), its CHEAPER. Ok so not much cheaper, but hey... Found it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Harman-Kardon-Drive-Play-Drive-and-Play-for-iPod_W0QQitemZ5846745462QQcategoryZ58350QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts