Cadillac Owners Forum banner

What do you think of the Ipod kit?

• I like it as it is. I would buy it now

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I need to have XM- So I will wait until it accepts XM as well

Votes: 35 66.0%
  • I dont Need XM, but I want a better interface/ playlist names

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Not interested- I fear technology. I have an 8-track in my V.

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
FAQ is your Friend
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys,

I hinted for a few weeks that I have been waiting for a new ipod kit. I am now testing this for a vendor who plans to make it available to everyone soon. I want to get everyone's comments on a few things.

1. Right now, you would have to make a choice- iPod or XM- there is plans to make the XM and iPod coexist in the car, but that is not available. (for me, i dont care 'cause I dont subscribe to xm)

2. Navigation takes some getting used to. See the image

XM2 band will be the same except that the soft keys on the right control playlists 7-12. If you dont have 12 playlists then the buttons wont do anything. I am trying to figure out how to number/name the playlists now to make it so you know what playlists are at what location.. havent figured this out yet. The playlist names dont show up. They MAY fix this later but they cant do that now.

3. installation is plug and PLAY.. yes, pull the radio (10 mins) plug in the wiring harness, and put it all back together. (if you have xm- which all v owners do, you need to pull the rear deck and disconnect the xm unit in the car now- 30 mins). Total install time with xm is about 45 mins to 1 hour without xm its about 30 mins.

4. The premise here is that you can put the ipod away somewhere and done have to see it. I put mine under the armrest and will mount it there when I am done (havent mounted it yet)

5. Few other things: the ipod is charged/ powered when plugged in, and it automatically shuts off when you turn of the car. Oh, and while you are in the nav screen you can use the seek button to change tracks (VERY COOL). If you have steering wheel control (standard CTS) they will work too!

6. The kit is high quality pieces (apple liscensed connectors and cables)

7. The kit will work on ALL CTSs/ CTS-Vs as follows:
If you have nav and XM(all Vs): Install and disconnect XM
If you have nav and no xm (does this exist?): Just install the kit
If you have a base/bose radio w/ Xm: Install and disconnect XM
If you have base/bose w/o XM (but XM ready- 2004 or later): Just install (MAY need to take to dealer to enable XM band)
If you have base/bose w/o XM (but not xm ready 2003 or before): Install and take to dealer to "enable" xm band

For me this kit is great. I think its about 80% of what the ipod integration should be (until GM shapes up). As many of you know I have had my ipod wired in for a while and I will tell you it is very impossible (nevermind dangerous) to navigate to a song while driving. that said, this kit has the exact functionality I was using before except I dont have a bracket holding the ipod in my field of view. I usually put on a playlist, put it on random and press next when i dont like a song. So, the only limiting factor of this kit that I did have before is that the playlist names are not shown onscreen (yet). I will tell you that it is MUCH safer to be working on the large LCD than on the ipod screen even if it was mounted high on the dash (using my custom mount)

So, with that, anyone have thoughts? I know the lack of XM will automatically exclude some of you from wanting this, but would anyone want it as is?

I should add that this is what I have been waiting for... GM didnt give us ipod integration (and may not- especially since delphi filed chapter 11) but the aftermarket came through and this solution is VERY good. Not perfect, but an excellent option for those of us who want an ipod in their cars.

Reed

·
Registered
79 Posts
Some questions and comments...

1) have you asked if they could do a simple toggle switch on a Y cable to see if XM can be left in? Even if it's a simple DPDT switch that selects between two sources and requires one to reach under a set to flip.

2) if no switch, can XM Traffic be had if no music is online? In other words, does the data feed keep coming with no music from XM available? For me, that's pretty key. (the traffic part)

Other than those two questions, this is awesome! I see that what they are doing is emulating the XM receiver as the injection source for text (hence the need for the XM interface on the display). I wonder if this will work with other cars on the road too!?

The interface, although it's only one the engineer's mother may love, is quite useful. Track name, album name etc... works for me!

So I changed my mind, one more question, what's the reality and timing and price on the unit that keeps XM?

Thanks tons! Hope these help a bit in product development.

Cheers,
Peet

·
Registered
118 Posts
I’ve been looking for an Ipod conduit for a while. Many people use XM (myself included) and I don’t think it is a good idea to market the new product exclusive of its use. Otherwise I like the idea. I cannot, however, discard a years worth of XM for this solution.

·
FAQ is your Friend
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,

I know XM is a must for some of you. They are working on this element of it. Timeframe may be December or later. I dont think its as easy as a toggle switch. The "brain" of this system has the ability to control it, but another piece of hardware is required to enable this feature.

Not sure about the XM-nav traffic. I dont have this feature and I have not gotten confirmation from anyone about the "hip/hop" box thats supposed to enable this. My immediate inclination would be "no." However, I am not sure how the data is fed into the nav unit. If it comes over the line-in or Class II line , then when you have the ipod connected/on (EVEN on the "improved" kit that will come out later) the nav traffic would be disabled since it essentally is NOT on the bus when the iPod is attached.

Thanks for your comments.. keep 'em coming.

Reed

·
FAQ is your Friend
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pricing would be around or below $200 for everything. (obviously not the iPod though).

And to predict a few more questions:

Not sure on the nano.
No, on the shuffle
Yes on the mini.

Reed

·
Registered
16 Posts
i don't own a v yet (plan to have one in the next 6 months), so i guess my feedback is only partially valid. however, i currently use a ipod2car adapter in my z06 and just getting clean audio from the ipod through the stock stereo is good enough for my needs. i'm not sure if the same solution works in the v or not? so, for me the functionality that you have described above would be enough for me to purchase it. and i don't anticipate using xm as i'm addicted to my ipod (i use it in all 3 of my vehicles now).

·
FAQ is your Friend
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are just looking to get sound into the car, and are willing to cut wires, then this will work for you (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/auxaud/)

This solution does allow you to put the ipod away somewhere NOT visible and use the stock system to navigate it. there is no iPod2car solution for this car.. the one I am discussing here IS that solution.

Reed

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was coming from the point of view on the existing PAC solution and that whole switch kit. I'm sure you're right that it's not as easy when you are feeding in all sorts of other data.

If this is a larger company (that s making the kit) and you can, please share their info. I'd love to read up more on the background of this kit. In any case, great start, I look forward to the day when it keeps XM. I didn't even think of Sandyfoot's point that people have prepaid subscriptions to XM.

Cheers!
P

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I have xm almost solely for the traffic. Their playlists aren't that bad but would definately wait for the switch, or whatever it may be. When are you coming to NYC again?:worship:

·
FAQ is your Friend
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thread jack:

actually, I am coming to NYC next tuesday... Anyone intersted in a late night beer (or possible lunch) in the city? Thursday, friday, or sat (not sure which is best yet).

end threadjack

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Maybe. When I can keep XM. And if I get an iPod.

What I'd REALLY like is just a dumb aux input. So I could use my MP3 player, or the Windows Media player on my Windows PDA, or a possible future iPod.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
... and what ever happened to the avatars?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I actually have a few XM subscriptions (the V, a MyFi (for work) and a truck (family plan)) so I would be interested when I could also keep the XM.

Marty

·
Registered
165 Posts
Looks good, i'd definatly be interested in buying it. If you get an opportunity, please post more info about how it would work with non-navigation models.

Hopefully it works with the Nano, but im in either way.

·
FAQ is your Friend
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lawfive,
Dumb aux input is on the faq (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/auxaud)... Thats how I had my ipod hooked up before.

You may wanna be careful drivin' around with a supercharger under your hood messing with any mp3 device though- eyes on the road! HEE HEE...

Avatars- Gone for now due to security reasons- If you still have quesitons, post in the lounge on this- you will get a better answer.

From what I understand it would work the same on non Nav. Preset 1-6 (xm1) would do the same things. The only difference is how the artist/title appears on the screen. the answer (I think) is that it woudl do whatever the XM does now. Take a picture of the XM input- e-mail to me- and I will photoshop/ explain it for you graphically (hows that for service!).

Reed

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would be all for a solution that allows me to keep XM...Gotta have my Bluesville. I also think that Nano is going to be key for this to be economically viable. I think that the Nano is going to explode during this holiday season.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
19 Participants
aallmighty