Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question -

I have a Neo ipod hookup for my 05 V at the moment, and the reason I got it was because I like being able to control the ipod from the ipod, instead of from the nav unit, while still having the ipod charge at the same time.

With the USB hookup in the center console of the 2009+ Vs, obviously you can plug an ipod in, but can you also control the music selection from the ipod?

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
Nah, at least I couldn't figure it out. I just downloaded it to the internal hard drive and played it from there.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V, Radiant silver, Loaded, Auto
455 Posts
Old habits are hard to break. You'll get used to not having to look down at your ipod. I had the same setup in my WS-6, and while I thought it was cool, the V's setup is better. You'll see.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V manual
448 Posts
i noticed with my 2011 i didnt get the cable...what kinda of cable do i need to pick up for iphone/ipad?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old habits are hard to break. You'll get used to not having to look down at your ipod. I had the same setup in my WS-6, and while I thought it was cool, the V's setup is better. You'll see.
no trust me, i won't, that's why on every car i've owned, cadillac and otherwise, i need to be able to control it from the ipod. that way on road trips you can pass the ipod to someone in the back seat and they can 'dj' for the rest of the car, etc...

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
626 Posts
Do they sell a longer version of the iPod hook-up? The one my car came with is only a couple inches long and requires the iPhone/iPod to stay in the center console. Also, it currently isn't working anyways, which I've read is a fairly common issue. When I hook the iPhone up, the car reads it, but it won't play the music and no sound will come out. I've tried "jiggling" the wire to no avail.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V, Radiant silver, Loaded, Auto
455 Posts
You still can. the iPod shows "GM" on the display with no functionality. but thats only if you have the serial connection connected. However, if you simply must have someone else control it then buy a male to male 1/8 headphone jack and plug it into the jack in the console and the other end into the headphone output of the ipod without the serial input. I plug in my scanner to listen for pigs over the cars speakers.

·
Registered
Considering a V sedan
61 Posts
You still can. the iPod shows "GM" on the display with no functionality. but thats only if you have the serial connection connected. However, if you simply must have someone else control it then buy a male to male 1/8 headphone jack and plug it into the jack in the console and the other end into the headphone output of the ipod without the serial input. I plug in my scanner to listen for pigs over the cars speakers.
If you untilize the "headphone jack" in the manner you describe, a significant drop in fidelity will occur. The only way to get decent fidelity is utilize the serial connection on the bottom. I'm replacing a head unit in my boat as well as another car for this very reason; they only have headphone/aux inputs. It just sounds nasty...

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
52 Posts
If you untilize the "headphone jack" in the manner you describe, a significant drop in fidelity will occur. The only way to get decent fidelity is utilize the serial connection on the bottom. I'm replacing a head unit in my boat as well as another car for this very reason; they only have headphone/aux inputs. It just sounds nasty...
I agree, you don't want to use the headphone jack. However, you can get a line out cable for the iPod that plugs into the 30 pin iPod connection on the bottom of the iPod and brings out a 1/8" stereo jack. You can plug that into the aux in jack on the Caddy. You can get these cables in varying lengths including long enough to pass the iPod to the back seat. This will prevent you from charging however.

This product will give you line out hi-fi audio and allow you to charge your iPod at the same time: http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-miniusb.html

Using this mini-dock will let you retain full iPod control as well.

Enjoy,
Ira

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i definitely need to be able to control the ipod and still have it charge

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
question, regarding the above suggestion, wouldn't that mean i'd need to have two cables running to the ipod? the USB for charging and the line out?

·
Registered
13 Posts
the double cable i got from cadillac was perfect, its short so u keep the iphone in the console and close it, All controls are on the dash and steering wheel and it mutes when u get a call. sweet

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V Sedan
567 Posts
the double cable i got from cadillac was perfect, its short so u keep the iphone in the console and close it, All controls are on the dash and steering wheel and it mutes when u get a call. sweet
Yeah, if only it would upload your contacts into the system. I don't even bother since I can't use the phone effectively through the nav system. If you want to make a call, you have to go through the 4 step prompts to make one through nav. it's retarded. If you don't have to make and receive calls, then the caddy cord is ok.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts