Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was considering getting a 2008 CTS and getting a different mp3 player (an iPod this time) to get the full compatibility. I was wondering if anyone tried the compatibility and even better, if anyone is planning on getting an iPod classic (new 80 or 160gb versions) and trying that? I'm interested in getting the new classic 80gb but i know its not compatible with certain video out accessories, since the CTS doesnt even support video out, im assuming the audio and full compatibility will work, but i dont like making assumptions, so if anyone has any idea and/or will try these new ipods, please let me know.

·
Registered
None anymore
240 Posts
While I can't comment on the compatibility of the new iPods, I do have a 5.5G iPod, the 80GB iPod w/ video and it works quite nicely. The only thing that I don't like is when you select artist you don't get a submenu of all the albums from that artist. Instead it shows all the songs, which is kinda dumb, IMO. Another thing that I have noticed is that sometimes it misses a track advance que when you press the button. I'm guessing that the radio didn't pick up on the command. It isn't as fast in jumping from track to track as it is on my iPod directly, but it beats the crap out of having to look at the iPod to change tracks or albums while driving, especially with the NAV screen.

Back to your main question though, the manual says gen 5 and up will work. So I would tend to say that they would work fine.

·
Registered
Cadillac
11 Posts
imrf, I too have the 80GB iPod w/Video and really appreciated reading your comments.

I was hoping it would display video from the iPod (like it does with the DVD) when the vehicle was stopped. Can you confirm that it doesn't? I have a lot of music videos and am curious how I would access them (if only to listen to them) if there's not even a menu option that recognizes they're there.

I assume one does not need Navigation (rpo UAV) to get the iPod interface, just the uplevel audio system with DVD (rpo US2). Which do you have?

thnx in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
None anymore
240 Posts
Can you confirm that it doesn't?
Unfortunately, I can't at this time. I don't have any videos on it right now. I'll try to get some on there this week if I have some free time.

I assume one does not need Navigation (rpo UAV) to get the iPod interface, just the uplevel audio system with DVD (rpo US2). Which do you have?
That is correct, you need either U2S or UAV for iPod control, the base model just has an AUX input in the center console via a 3.5mm headphone jack. I have the UAV radio.

I hope some of this helps you out. If you have any other questions let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.

·
Registered
Cadillac
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys so far. As for the question on video, I read a list of filenames read by the system a while back and it didn't support an video formats. I wouldn't be surprised if there were hacks in the pipeline (e.g. getting into a debug mode and installing codecs on the drive or something) to activate some video playing features...even if encoded in a format compatible with the dvd player (e.g. mpeg2). But that's wishful thinking on my part for now.

·
Registered
None anymore
240 Posts
I've had a few minutes to play around with it some more. And to let you know, no, you can not play any videos on the iPod through the LCD with the NAV radio.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts