Cadillac Owners Forum banner

would you purchase a 2013 2.0T ATS knowing the information that is now out there?

• Yes

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Luxury RWD , BMW E30 325IC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking to purchase a used 2013 ATS - I recently found a 2.0T in fantastic shape with 20k miles and I talked the dealer down to a really great price. The problem is that an hour after talking him down to a price I want to purchase at I stumbled upon the piston issue thread. Now I'm pretty worried about buying a 2.0T.

So what I want to hear from the community is, would you purchase a 2.0T ATS knowing the information that is now out there? The sample size is really difficult to pin down given this is a forum, but I've been part of BMW forums for years and to have ~30 people with the same issue on one forum is quite a lot from my experience.

Little background on myself: I'm 23 and have had 17 cars and do all my own auto work (everything from brake jobs to engine swaps). I am currently daily driving an e38 BMW with 76k miles, but due to both taking a job where I will be driving much more, and having a HUGE icicle destroy my hood/fender I am looking to replace the car with something newer, more practical, and better on fuel. For reference my previous cars were as follows:

1999 lincoln continental
1998 ford ranger
1998 Hyundai Tiburon
1996 Land Rover Discovery (last year of the 5 spd manual)
1993 Geo Storm (ha. what a hilarious car)
1995 Subaru Impreza
1996 Subaru Impreza
1990 BMW 325is - M50 swapped, GC coilovers, Recaro SRD's
1999 B5 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
2001 VW Jetta VR6
1987 BMW 535is
1972 Porsche 914
2002 Mini Cooper
1991 BMW 325ix
1987 BMW 325is Turbo - fully built motor
2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe
1997 BMW 740I

Anyway, I appreciate any and all responses.

----------

Poll added for convenience! I just want to see what the general consensus is, not looking for a repeat of other threads.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! Excellent response. I have kept a few for multiple years. I had four cars for a year or so. Just as a heads up, the plan is to keep the car for 4 years (other cars will no doubt be purchased during that time) then sell it in order to buy a Tesla model 3 (I'm anticipating greatness).

·
Registered
'14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
1,158 Posts
If the 2.0T were a lot cheaper than I could get a 3.6 for I would pick that up. I would be looking for a 3.6 though. I realize that the issues with the 2.0T are probably small in terms of number of cars sold, and anything can happen to any engine, but given the forum talk here and seeing a several at my dealership with the same issue I would have to have significant savings to pick up a 2.0T. The other side for me personally would be that I would have that extra HP out of the box. There is no way I would mod a 2.0T today knowing that it is possible to be denied a warranty if something happens to the engine. With my experiences thus far I will not own an ATS out of warranty modded or unmodded. Just my own preference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only 3.6 I have found that is in my price range (under $23k) with less than 40k miles (really shooting for under 30k miles) is a hertz car. I drove it and mechanically seems great but quite a few small interior/exterior defects from being a rental.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
I have a 2.0T 2013, with no engine problems whatsoever and have had the recall piston fix which involved new plugs. There has been no documented case as far as I know of any "piston problem" showing up after this so called recall fix. The two dealerships that I've dealt with have never had any of these so called 2.0T problems, and the number is extremely small in relation to total vehicles manufactured. The 3.6 is not without it's issues as well in terms of idle and engine shake complaints. As long as you have a decent warranty, I wouldn't worry. After all, anything included drive train and transmission, etc can go wrong on any car. If you love the ATS you're wheeling and dealing for, stop worrying about "what if's" and go for it. p.s. I think the results of your poll thus far speaks for itself.

·
Registered
ATS
1 Posts
My wife has a 2013 and we haven't had any problems. It was taken in recently for the plugs and a cleaning and has never driven better. Love the car!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the responses! I currently have a hold on the car but my schedule won't allow me to actually get there to purchase it (assuming I chose to) until the end of next week. Please keep votes/responses coming!

·
Registered
ATS Metallic Silver, 2.0L Turbo, Performance, Morello Red
286 Posts
All you can do is ask with this issue. The percent of "true piston" issues aren't really known and I've seen no definitive way to call it (too many opinions).
Myself, have 25K and the engine is as strong as day one. All related recalls have been done, and for me.....none of the engine related issues have surfaced. Due diligence is all that will convince you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed. I'd say that goes for most higher end companies though - you really pay for a certain level of driving dynamic & build quality but in many cases the creature comforts come from extras. I made sure to find one with a sunroof, heated seats, heated steering wheel, remote start & navigation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it turns out the ATS I have a hold on was sold as a CPO vehicle last year and is under CPO warranty until 2019. I'm currently looking at financing until 2019 and will most likely have the car paid off in 2017. Soooo.... I don't see any reason to not buy the car, as even if I do see a major engine failure it will be replaced under warranty and my goal all along was to keep it for 4 years.

Thank you very much for the input, and I would suggest people keep voting so future potential buyers have a helpful reference. I will post pictures and details once I am able to pick up the car.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 AND 2012 SRX
32 Posts
3.6 has a lot of raw power and flys..Bought a certicied 2013 3.6 for $25,000k from Devoe Cadillac in Naples. In Florida a lot of ATS are leased and are found to be a liilte to sporty for some buyers. Tend to sit on dealer lots longer. Get tougher with your negoaition tatic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts