Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2004 CTS-V a couple months ago, but for some reason the forums would not send me a registration email to my Army address and I didn't have a non-free one otherwise.

Fortunately I was able to contact Sal through the Corvette Forums and get him to manually activate my account.

That being said, I had a couple of questions (yes I searched, and yes I read the FAQ :) )...

1. This isn't so much as a question as to let people know that the Eibach Pro Kit for our cars has been discontinued. I ordered it from 5 different people on eBay who all gladly took my payment then informed me that it was discontinued. I have also called every shop on Google and some have told me it was discontinued, some found out after I placed the order and called me to cancel the order.

2. My main question is this...I tinted the windows but aside from that all I really wanted to do was lower the car (and maybe get something that plays mp3s someday). Initially I wanted to do it on Eibach springs, but then I read about the Nivomats etc and saw the write up...but still was a little foggy on how to do it properly (I am more of a hands on, not read instruction on the net kind of guy) with the spacers etc. Then I saw that the Ground Control kit really wasn't much more expensive, and still available through GC (as opposed to ordering the Eibachs for the 20th time only to find out they were discontinued) and thought I would get that instead (it seemed to be a lot "easier" in that it was basically just replacing one included bushing instead of trying to put a bunch of Lego pieces together over and under the pillow to achieve an approximate drop of 1").

However, I also read on here (via searching) that some people had clunk problems with GC. Has this been resolved or do you have a better lowering recommendation for me?

3. Is there any way to shut off the auto-lock feature that when you drive the doors lock, and a way to make it one click on the FOB opens all four doors? I downloaded the manual in PDF format (mine didn't come with a manual when I bought it, nor a nav DVD but I digress) but I didn't see where it says how to do that (I must be blind).

Thanks for the help in advance...I love the car.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Welcome to the boards. :wave:

2- Some people still have clunking with the GC kit, but others say it's just because they need to tighten down the upper mounts more. YMMV.

3- Nope and nope.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Welcome. Good luck with the Ground Control. Give us a write up and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the boards. :wave:

2- Some people still have clunking with the GC kit, but others say it's just because they need to tighten down the upper mounts more. YMMV.

3- Nope and nope.
That makes me a little hesitant to buy the GC kit. Damn. What other suggestions do you have?

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 | 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV
315 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the Eibach kit! I called 4 different places before I found Tire Rack that has them in stock for $237 and ordered mine on the spot. Called to confirm availability!

If you are still looking, that's where I got mine...

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I would rather spend the extra money than try to figure out exactly how to lower it properly on the Nivomats. I like how the GC come with the stopper.

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 | 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV
315 Posts
Spacers or new brackets or new shocks

Not really that hard.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just not a big fan of trying to guess at 1" with spacers and hope there is no problems and everything is right. Especially considering the guide is for 1" when the rear is supposed to lower 1.2" with the Eibach.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
People have been using the spacer mod here for years with no ill effect. I have been running them on my current cts for about 2 yrs now without any problems. I have even modified my shocks to allow for the full 1.2" drop, and when I cut my rear eibach springs, I modified my shocks agian for an additional 1/4-1/2" drop, no problems. I plan on the same with my cts-v. I don't know what problems you foresee?

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
It's pretty simple, I don't even have the fancy spacers from whldwhl and others, I always used steel and rubber washers from home depot.

·
Registered
Silver '05 V
1,238 Posts
Doing the spacers on the shocks with Eibach is the same as doing the spacers that are included with the Ground Control. Look at the process on the FAQ for GC and then search for some info on guys doing Eibach installs and you will see that it is the same concept and involves the same dismantle/reassemble.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I'm just known to jack things up...I guess with the Eibachs it seems like it is all approximate whereas I can just slap the GC together. If I had someone nearby that could show me how they did it I would feel a lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Whether you get the GCs or the Eibachs, you still have to do the same modification to lower the rear Nivomats, regardless.

I'd still say get the GCs over the Eibachs, but not because of your worries about having to deal with the rear modifications.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for the input...I started a thread just about the GCs and questions (obviously this thread/title isn't going to always attract people with GCs, but more so Eibachs). So when that gets up, I'll post the link here. Much more in depth questions in one place about the GCs.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Was checking out the Eibach website and they are no longer listed for the cts-v, however UPS sent my shipment of springs to the wrong address(I sorted that out and got my springs) but I had to call Tire rack anyway,so I asked them if they had any instock, they said they had some left, so if anybody wants eibach springs they'd better act fast.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts