Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Sedan Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new to the forum and wanted to share a couple of pics of my recently acquired 93 Sedan DeVille with 48,000 miles.

Regarding the security light; is it normal for it to remain on constantly?

I put in a new battery a month ago and after a week without driving the car, the battery is dead.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks for the help and the great forum.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,255 Posts
Hello all. I am new to the forum and wanted to share a couple of pics of my recently acquired 93 Sedan DeVille with 48,000 miles.

Regarding the security light; is it normal for it to remain on constantly?

I put in a new battery a month ago and after a week without driving the car, the battery is dead.

View attachment 302258
View attachment 302266

Thanks for the help and the great forum.
========================
Regarding the security light;
is it normal for it to remain on constantly?

NO -

I put in a new battery a month ago
and after a week without driving the car,
the battery is dead.

you obviously have a parasitic draw -

----------------

if you are planning on doing any of your own work on the car -
I recommend getting the FSM - Factory Service Manual -
I found one for you for $29 - with free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-1993-Cadillac-Fleetwood-Deville-Sixty-Special-Factory-GM-Service-Manual-/271868562528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4ca10c60

·
Registered
1993 Sedan Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks basscatt. I am hoping the security light is the draw. Any ideas on how to turn the light off?

Good find on the manual, unfortunately someone else beat me to it.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,255 Posts
Thanks basscatt. I am hoping the security light is the draw. Any ideas on how to turn the light off?

=====================
I am hoping the security light is the draw.
Any ideas on how to turn the light off?
the light simply means the security system is remaining active -
correct the security problem -
and the light will go off -

here is one for $30 - or best offer - with free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-1993-CADILLAC-DEVILLE-FLEETWOOD-SIXTY-60-SPECIAL-SERVICE-SHOP-MANUAL-92-93-/161685884481?hash=item25a53ace41&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
J.D. said:
Got the manual that time. Thanks for the link.
Clean car man. Looks like something straight out of an old ad. Real sharp. =) :thumbsup: got my 92 at 48k too! The security light hopefully take care of your battery issue

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Is the security light on all the time even with the car running? With the key out the light should flash until the doors are locked and then go solid until the doors are closed. If it stays on it's not sensing the door being closed.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
brougham said:
Is the security light on all the time even with the car running? With the key out the light should flash until the doors are locked and then go solid until the doors are closed. If it stays on it's not sensing the door being closed.
If that were the case wouldn't the light still flash?

Mine flashes when the door is open (alarm unarmed). It goes solid only when I arm the alarm with the door open.

Stays solid with door open and alarm armed until door is closed then goes off within a few seconds.

Goes solid and stays solid for a few seconds when doors closed using key fob to arm alarm.

###

Sounds like his is solid all the time. Unless I'm mistaken

·
Registered
1993 Sedan Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To clarify: it stays solid with the doors locked and closed. It does flash with the doors open and turns off when running.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
If that were the case wouldn't the light still flash?

Mine flashes when the door is open (alarm unarmed). It goes solid only when I arm the alarm with the door open.

Stays solid with door open and alarm armed until door is closed then goes off within a few seconds.

Goes solid and stays solid for a few seconds when doors closed using key fob to arm alarm.

###

Sounds like his is solid all the time. Unless I'm mistaken
No, it will only flash with key out of ignition until you hit the lock button.

The rest is just what I said.

Key out, door open the light should flash.
Press the lock button and the light should go solid.
Light should stay solid until all the doors are closed and then go out.

If it's not going out there is a door switch disconnected or broken wire or some other reason that the alarm doesn't know the door is closed. If it's staying on all the time, even with the ignition on there's another problem.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
brougham said:
No, it will only flash with key out of ignition until you hit the lock button. The rest is just what I said. Key out, door open the light should flash. Press the lock button and the light should go solid. Light should stay solid until all the doors are closed and then go out. If it's not going out there is a door switch disconnected or broken wire or some other reason that the alarm doesn't know the door is closed. If it's staying on all the time, even with the ignition on there's another problem.
Yes sir. This is on point and I agree.

I wonder if his door lights stay illuminated. To the op: Are there other symptoms of an open door that you are experiencing on the drivers side?

·
Registered
1993 Sedan Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not noticed any other symptoms. Interior lights do not stay on with the doors closed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts