Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im doing 4 papers this weekend , most of them have somthing to do with john deloren , the farthest back i can get anything on him is int he 50s at studebaker packard thought yall might wanna see this paper about a car that almost saw the light of day my source was from http://patriot.net/~jonroq/porsstud.html a guy named johnstone

what my paper is is a summary and response to what ive found , lemme know what yall think , i did this with 3 cornona in me so im sure theres some little odds and ends wrong

also if you wanna see the other papers as they become finished let me know ill be happy to post them up

Summary

The time is 1950 and the Studebaker Packard Corporation was beginning the downward spiral that would lead to the demise of yet another American carmaker. People at headquarters knew they needed a hit car and fast. Work began on a car that would have many new ideas to put into it. A new 1952-1953 Studebaker car with features such as fuel injection, disc brakes, and rack and pinion steering . With developing the new concepts came great cost so a call was put out to Ferry Porsche to help develop the new car. A prototype car would arrive to headquarters in South Bend Indiana from Stuttgart in the form of a sedan. The new sedan was named type 542 from Germany but officials in South Bend named it the Z-87. The Z-87 came from Stuttgart with features half of cars sold today did not have like four wheel independent suspension and a 120-degree vee six. The vee six was a marvel in itself with two options either air-cooled or water-cooled. By merely swapping out the cylinder heads one could have either water or air-cooled engines. The car sat untill 1956 when a young John Delorean stumbled upon it. John liked the great ideas in the car but he determined after driving it very hard that the car was not up to American tastes at the time and decided people enjoyed driving the Studebaker champion more at the time. Porsche would later submit another car that ended up going to Volkswagen to become the Squareback of the late sixties, Studebaker wanted nothing to do with that car either and ended the relationship with Porsche.
Response
Studebaker needed the Z-87 bad to claim a new niche market . The car had the right numbers to be a hit with the buying public . Its main draw back was it looked, acted, and drove like no American car on the road (Johnstone) . This worked for several cars like the corvair , tempest and the wildy popular humvee . Only a few years down the road the Barvarin Motor Werks built a similar car called the 1500 a car very similar to the Z-87 , in fact only the body and engines were of difffrent engineering types . Today the 1500’s Granddaughter is called the three series and is very popular among drivers . Another car very similar to the Z-87 was the 1956 Alpha Romeo Giulietta saloon that has become one of the classic cars from Italy. It was descions like this that caused Studebakers ultimate demise . In the end its unclear to some why a company like studebaker would turn down anything that came from Porsche , a company known for its engineering excelence since the time of the type 356 (Johnstone) .

PIC OF CAR
http://www.gsdi.org:8088/Photos/Archive/porsche-stude.jpg

·
Registered
407 Posts
Do mention that Soviet government has leased untold thousand of Sudebaker trucks in the World War II. That is an important part of automotive history, in my opinion.

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i didnt know about that , it wouldnt have it in this paper since its of a particular car

but its interesting indeed , ill have to read up on that , for future papers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts