Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
2000 ETC
1959 Sedan DeVille 1966 Factory Formal Limousine 1967 Fleetwood Brougham 1968 Fleetwood Brougham 196
19 Posts
Hello all & hope all are well. Been reading posts about this problem, but here's mine...
I have intermittent starting problems with my 1998 Eldorado. (Only 28,500 original miles on it). Had this issue before about 2 years ago. Turn the key, car didn't start. Turn it again, it started. Sometimes had to turn key 2-3 times. Went to Caddie dealer two years ago to have it looked at. They were honest with me in that they could have said it was a bad starter. Instead, the cables had corrosion on them. They cleaned them up & I was good to go. Started every time until last week. The problem came back. Checked a few things myself such as cables to battery (new battery). They were clean & tight; but I cleaned them shiny bright anyway & made sure they were making full contact with the battery terminal. (When it does start though, it starts as if nothing is wrong. Kicks over instantly, no hesitation, you can't even hear it crank. That's how quick it starts; when it starts)!!! Have this issue with both keys so I figure keys are good?

I don't know if the cables to the starter have any corrosion or not again, but even if they don't, while the mechanic has the starter exposed, I want it changed anyway. (I just don't trust a 22 year old starter. Found a brand new AC/Delco starter still in the original box made in Mexico not China. Tested it myself & it works). I'm thinking that the problem could be any of the relays too, such as ignition relay, starter relay. I'm replacing them as well even if good, & I can do that myself. Also, while I'm at it, I want to have the ignition switch replaced & I may as well replace the neutral safety switch. I know I'm shot gunning, but I don't care about the extra cost. A chain is no stronger than it's weakest link so I want it all new which just leaves me with the original cables, which I guess can be checked with an ohm meter? Just don't want to get stuck anywhere so I don't care about being redundant. Did I leave anything out, or any suggestions? Thanks!!
Before you go messing with the ignitionj. Please read my Eldo issues.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I browsed through them. What is the title of the one I should look sat? Thanks

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is what worry's me. Could be anything. Two years ago when I first had this problem, it was corrosion on the starter connectors & it was corrected. Now two years later, problem is back. Bought a new starter AC/Delco orig equip (made in Mexico, not China) because I figured if a tech has to get at the starter, even if he finds any corrosion, just replace the damn thing. Also replacing any relays associated with the starter circuit which I can do myself. So what I'm getting at is, could be anything at this point including a key switch issue. I know I'm shotgunning here, but just want too eliminate as much as possible. I just hope the original starter/solenoid is obviously "shot" so I know for sure. As I'm sure you know, intermittent problems are very frustrating.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
WIRE IN PICTURE ABOVE RUNS TO SOLENOID PULL ON SLIGHTLY AND HAVE SOMEONE TURN KEY
I HAVE TWO 1995 ETC'S / ONE WITH PROBLEM WHEN TURNING KEY NOTHING / I WENT THROUGH ALL CIRCUITS. RELAYS AND SUCH
4 MONTHS CHECKING THEN PULLED ON WIRE A LITTLE- PROBLEM SOLVED / ACTS UP NOW AND I DO SAME AND GOOD TO GO AGAIN
PROBLEM MORE THAN LIKELY CORROSION AT SOLENOID TERMINAL / PAIN TO GET TO FOR INTAKE NEEDS PULLED ACCESS
TRY SPRAYING SOME CONTACT CLEANER DOWN GHAT AREA
HOPE THIS HELPS ALL
Thanks, but I don't see the picture.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts