Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all & hope all are well. Been reading posts about this problem, but here's mine...
I have intermittent starting problems with my 1998 Eldorado. (Only 28,500 original miles on it). Had this issue before about 2 years ago. Turn the key, car didn't start. Turn it again, it started. Sometimes had to turn key 2-3 times. Went to Caddie dealer two years ago to have it looked at. They were honest with me in that they could have said it was a bad starter. Instead, the cables had corrosion on them. They cleaned them up & I was good to go. Started every time until last week. The problem came back. Checked a few things myself such as cables to battery (new battery). They were clean & tight; but I cleaned them shiny bright anyway & made sure they were making full contact with the battery terminal. (When it does start though, it starts as if nothing is wrong. Kicks over instantly, no hesitation, you can't even hear it crank. That's how quick it starts; when it starts)!!! Have this issue with both keys so I figure keys are good?

I don't know if the cables to the starter have any corrosion or not again, but even if they don't, while the mechanic has the starter exposed, I want it changed anyway. (I just don't trust a 22 year old starter. Found a brand new AC/Delco starter still in the original box made in Mexico not China. Tested it myself & it works). I'm thinking that the problem could be any of the relays too, such as ignition relay, starter relay. I'm replacing them as well even if good, & I can do that myself. Also, while I'm at it, I want to have the ignition switch replaced & I may as well replace the neutral safety switch. I know I'm shot gunning, but I don't care about the extra cost. A chain is no stronger than it's weakest link so I want it all new which just leaves me with the original cables, which I guess can be checked with an ohm meter? Just don't want to get stuck anywhere so I don't care about being redundant. Did I leave anything out, or any suggestions? Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,183 Posts
When it does not start, have you tried wiggling the gear selector?

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did, & even shifted it into neutral, but no dice! I can try that again when it happens again. One other thing I did was turn the ignition switch with the key in it on & off very fast yesterday with out trying to start it figuring maybe something hung up inside it. Then it wouldn't start at all until about 10 tries!! Don't know if That was a stupid thing to do or not. Also have not tried to start it in 24 hours just to check the battery at standing voltage & it read 12.6...normal.

·
1997 SLS
3 Posts
I had a similar issue last year and it turned out to be a bad battery terminal connection. It was loose, nothing more.
Good lucking your quest!

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wish that was the case with me. Battery terminals are tight & clean.

·
Registered
'98 Seville STS (gone); 2001 STS
155 Posts
R/H side, just under the edge of the intake, you'll see a weathpack connector. Backprobe (or however you choose) the purple wire, and hit power from the nearby battery post on the end of the fuse block. That will directly apply power to the starter solenoid. If nothing happens, OR you hear it pull in but no crank, it's starter time.

If you can hit it a number of times and it always cranks, it's (probably) not the starter. I say probably just because intermittents are just that - they come and go. A starter isn't that bad a job - took me a bit over an hour the first time. I was getting tired of the hit/miss will I be driving or walking. ;)

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I see the purple wire coming out of the connector. Question...How do I do this? For example, do I just stick a paper clip into the connector & use jumper cables to connect to the positive side of the battery? If so, what does that bypass; because I'v already taken out the starter relay & the ignition relay. Ordered new ones whether bad or not. Cheap enough at rock auto. Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Pull the plug. While not damaging it (!), stick a wire down the engine side. Then just tap the other end on the positive post at the end of the fuse block. That sends power directly to the starter solenoid, in theory pulling it in and engaging the starter motor. This eliminates everything upstream. No more unknown jumps from this to that.

Do it with the key off, otherwise you'll just keep starting the engine. Not the actual goal at this stage.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
977 Posts
Starter has two wires with ground provided through body. Large wire is directly connected to battery.

The purple wire, to the solenoid, is connected to the battery via starter relay, starter fuse and main fuse. The starter relay is controlled via wire to ignition swItch thru the nss and security.

Lots of components, lots of wires. Proper testing requires a meter and/or test light with access to good known ground and power.

Using good ground, test for power along the 3 circuits by pulling relays, fuses, wire harness interconnects.

Per Fiero, testing the purple wire at the indicated point confirms 2 of the 3 circuits (wire is live only of the control signal is present and the connection back to battery.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Sefiro & thanks for your reply. I have pulled out the Starter Relay & the Ignition 1 Relay. I have new ones on order. (Not that expensive, & even if they are good, replacing them anyway since I went through the trouble of pulling them). So let me try & understand this.... If I test the purple wire per Fiero by disconnecting the plug, I can run a test wire from the purple wire to 12v & that will test the solenoid directly? In other words bypassing the relays? Or do the relays have to be in the circuit to do this? Thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Relays don't have to be there, as you're bypassing EVERYTHING. Short of what you're actually testing.

You could literally do this with the entire wiring harness of the car removed.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
977 Posts
Yes, it will activate the solenoid.

I carry a short, 4 gauge, u shaped wire for jumping the starter on problematic cars. It's to jump from the large wire to the smaller solenoid wire.

If the starter turns, then there is a problem in the control signal wiring. If it doesn't turn, then there is a problem with the starter or the primary wire.

If it turns. You can turn the key to run, jump the starter, and get the car running (assuming everything else is working)

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, at least now I know I need a heavy gauge wire to to this. Going to get hit with a storm tomorrow so I can try this maybe Wed. Meantime, can you tell me what the "control signal wiring" is? Thanks.

·
Registered
2-1995 ELDORADO ETC
2 Posts
WIRE IN PICTURE ABOVE RUNS TO SOLENOID PULL ON SLIGHTLY AND HAVE SOMEONE TURN KEY
I HAVE TWO 1995 ETC'S / ONE WITH PROBLEM WHEN TURNING KEY NOTHING / I WENT THROUGH ALL CIRCUITS. RELAYS AND SUCH
4 MONTHS CHECKING THEN PULLED ON WIRE A LITTLE- PROBLEM SOLVED / ACTS UP NOW AND I DO SAME AND GOOD TO GO AGAIN
PROBLEM MORE THAN LIKELY CORROSION AT SOLENOID TERMINAL / PAIN TO GET TO FOR INTAKE NEEDS PULLED ACCESS
TRY SPRAYING SOME CONTACT CLEANER DOWN GHAT AREA
HOPE THIS HELPS ALL

Something is wrong with your caps lock. No need to shout. Sub

·
Registered
2000 SLS, 2004 SLS
18 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2000 SLS. I don't know if the '98 Eldorados are the same but in my case it was the key switch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts