Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Everyone,
I have a 96 Deville and so far it's been a good car except the fact that it stalls on me from time to time. I can be cruising and apply pressure on the brakes and the next thing you know, it cuts off. This does't happen a lot but it is certainly a concern of mine. I recently took it in the cadi dealership, i've had both crank sensors replaced, a complete fuel system clean, new spark plugs and wires and it did the same thing the other day. I don't know what to do because it cost me $1300 dollars for these repairs. I took it back to the dealership and they checked out the vechicle and now they say it is a fuel delivery problem but they didn't sound confident when telling me this. If anyone has experienced the same problems and had it fixed please reply to this message.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
It could be a number of things, but unfortunately its kinda hard to determine these types problems over the internet......

It could be the fuel pump, vacuum leak, or many other things...... Could you give some more details?? We need to find a common denominator when it always does it......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
elwesso said:
It could be a number of things, but unfortunately its kinda hard to determine these types problems over the internet......

It could be the fuel pump, vacuum leak, or many other things...... Could you give some more details?? We need to find a common denominator when it always does it......
Hello,
This problem doesn't happen often. I does it about every 3000 miles or so. I just happens out of now where. I took it it to the dealership and they inspected the tank and said my fuel pump was sending low pressure or something like that. I hope this solves the problem because it cost me $900.00 for the repairs done today. Also, when it stalls it starts right back up.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Hmm.... Ill move this to the Deville section and see what kind of input you can get there!!!!

Hopefully it will solve your problem!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am glad to see I am not the only one with this problem. The NHTSA site lists a service bulletin # 150201 with the problems you and I are having.
I too replaced the crank sensors and other assorted items.
The stalling is happening at high speed, low speed, turning and going straight. It happens in wet weather and dry weather.
Now the dealership trys to look the other way when they see me coming.
Somebody out there must have the answer.
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 93 Sedan DeVille 4.9liter..........I too have problems with intermittent stalling...........While I am driving on the highway the car just cuts off in traffic at no matter what speed I am driving it in which I would shift into Neutral and crank it back up and keep riding until it did it to me again.......It has gotten to the point that it happens 3 or 4 if not more times a day while I am driving on these Atlanta Interstates...........I have replaced Map Sensors, Oxygen Sensors (just to be safe) and it is still doing it........It has gotten so bad that I had gotten another code telling me that I had faulty transmission shifts normally resulting from driver shifting into Park/Neutral at over 2200 RPMs.......Now I can't even shift into Neutral if it stalls because it will no longer crank.......Can some tell me why I can no longer crank it in Neutral and what may be causing my car to stall..............Also I have a check engine line on relating to my Power Steering Pressure Switch.........Would that have the potential to cause the intermittent Stalling...............Holla at a Playa when ya see me on the streets!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think 4.9L and NS are completely different engines, so whatever
the causes are, they are probably different for 4.9L and NS.

And Kappa, I think I had the same problem about a month ago.
I checked fuel and ignition systems and couldn't find any problem
when they were statically tested. So, I changed the moving part,
the distributor. And it fixed the problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Intermittent stalling I have a 99 Deville which my wife drives all the time. We will pick up the car today from the best Cadillac dealer in the country. Coulter in Tempe Az. They spent two hours yesterday checking the car out. They ran all the diagnostic tests..the technician took it home last night and drove it on stop and go streets to get the event to occur again without any luck. They do not guess on repairs, and they could not duplicate the event.

I'm of the opinion that it is the ignition module that over heats under certain conditions. Twice when this has happened it has been within miles of stopping for gas after a long drive and a hot engine. I think the heat builds up in the block after stopping and raises the module above it's operating range and it then cuts out. Can anyone confirm that this is what is happening. Thanks for reading this. T. Braun
In the meantime, I'll look at the engine temperature gauge at the time of the next future event.

bhall24 said:
Good Day Everyone,
I have a 96 Deville and so far it's been a good car except the fact that it stalls on me from time to time. I can be cruising and apply pressure on the brakes and the next thing you know, it cuts off. This does't happen a lot but it is certainly a concern of mine. I recently took it in the cadi dealership, i've had both crank sensors replaced, a complete fuel system clean, new spark plugs and wires and it did the same thing the other day. I don't know what to do because it cost me $1300 dollars for these repairs. I took it back to the dealership and they checked out the vechicle and now they say it is a fuel delivery problem but they didn't sound confident when telling me this. If anyone has experienced the same problems and had it fixed please reply to this message.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't bother with the ignition control module. I just spent $700.00 to replace mine and I got a whole 5 blocks before it stalled out. So far total damages are about $1400.00 and it still stalls.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good Day Everyone,
Well same problem has happened again, after i had the fuel pump installed which costed me about 900 bucks. So far i've spent roughly 2200 to fix the problem. I think i'm done spending any more money on it right now. If you've found a fix to the problem please reply. I'm thinking maybe it's a vacuum leak or something.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ok i had the same problem you are having so i ran the computer on it and it came up with throttle positioning sensor is open.. so i went under the hood and made sure the wires were connected tight on the tps and ever since then i haven't had a single problem with stalling... i hope this helps any

·
Registered
8 Posts
OH please... Someone say they have a answer to this problem.. I have a 95 Deville and it just started acting up.. Motor dies when ever ir feels like.. and I only have 28K on it... Just had it towed to the dealer. I posted a thread on the problem with more detail... but it sounds like this may be a common problem. I just learned about how to read the codes.. but the dash never told me anything... I'm sure the dealer has checked but I will double-check.. just to make sure..

TO: rainingzigzags.. Where is the TPS located.. what does it look like?

Thanks,

DC-in-MD

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
The TPS is located on the throttle around the throttle plate..... It should look like a black box that is partially in the TB.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
For reading the codes on my caddy i used a scan tool not the built in code thing.. the tool i used plugs in under the dash into a wiring harness (mine was below the ashtray).. it has cartriges that you can plug into the bottom of the tool so you can read codes for different makes and models.. below is a link to the scan tool i use..

http://www.actron.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=cp9110.htm&cart_id=1290373_369

i'm jsut saying if you can't figure out what is wrong with it and don't feel like paying a mechanic to fix that maybe you can do it your self....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey everyone,

I have had a similar problem in the past; whenever the fuel level was low the car stalled upon applying brakes, while turning at even moderate speeds. And after driving the car for a while on hot days it would stumble badly even with a slightest touch to the gas pedal. I took the car to the shop that a friend recommended and as luck would have it the mechanic there has the exact same 92 DeVille as mine and has experienced the exact same problem. He said the problem was the fuel pump, sending unit, and the fuel tank itself. When he took the fuel tank out it was delaminating badly on the inside, and the fuel pump was shot. The repair entailed about $800, but the problem never returned. BTW, my 92 DeVille had about 142k miles when this became a big problem. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I found out my intermittent stalling was a result of a faulty Idle Speed Control Motor...........Replaced it and went out of town last week for the holidays......I has not stalled in over 800 miles...........That seems to have fixxed it

·
Registered
8 Posts
dc-in-md said:
OH please... Someone say they have a answer to this problem.. I have a 95 Deville and it just started acting up.. Motor dies when ever ir feels like.. and I only have 28K on it... Just had it towed to the dealer. I posted a thread on the problem with more detail... but it sounds like this may be a common problem. I just learned about how to read the codes.. but the dash never told me anything... I'm sure the dealer has checked but I will double-check.. just to make sure..

TO: rainingzigzags.. Where is the TPS located.. what does it look like?

Thanks,

DC-in-MD

Well after 3 weels at the dealer they found the problem.. it was the fuel pump.. the punp had been drawing such a high amp it burned up ith wireing harness as well... I have only driven the car about 100 since I got it back but it seems to be working... thanks

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
This post is going all over the place... People with 4.9s, People with 4.6s some say its TPS some say its fuel pump... I think the original poster has a 4.6 NS engine and this is creating alot of confusion here. Stalling problems seem to be evident on alot of NS engines lately though, my 01 had a stalling problem that (as in your case) was diagnosed as Crankshaft Sensors which DID actually fix the problem for me, but this may be being quickly mis-diagnosed on earlier models because the CPS problem is supposed to be only related as a known issue to 2000 and up-ish models only. This sounds sort of like an issue that would be associated with an Idle AIR control problem (Jeeps Grand Cherokees are notorious for this), but could possibly be Idle speed control as well just based on the parts function. Hard to say for sure though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
Playdrv4me