Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a 1987/88 Allante here in England. It is probably unnecessary to say that it is a fantastic car and that I am taken back with the styling, technology and pleasure this car gives me. However there are some gremlins and England is NOT a great place for getting assistance with American cars.

The car is the 4.1 old fashion pushrod engine (which I must say I prefer) and due to go in engine and gearbox oil changes as well as annual mechanical safety testes.

There are plenty little niggly bits, but the main issue is an intermittent stalling in either low speed turn or when coming to a standstill. Probably happens 10% of the time and seems to be corresponding with the engine revs hunting up and down. Initial discussion with a European car mechanic points to IAC (Idle air control) unit, but I would like to ask for some guidance on the forum please.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
1992 Allante Black / Beige
124 Posts
Good Day. Welcome to Allante ownership! It sounds like your mechanic might be on the right track, but the terminology is a bit different.
Do you happen to have a Factory Service Manual? If not, I would highly recommend one as it will help you and you mechanic to better understand the vehicle. They are available on EBay in hard copy and also in CD version from www.autobooksbishko.com/repair-manual.html.
Your Allante has an onboard computer system that will lead you to any problems your car is experiencing. Attached are the instructions to run your system. Once it starts, it will give you al list of Current Codes as well as History Codes. Write them down and get back to us for what they mean.
Handwriting Font Material property Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
Magoo—2012 Cadillac CTS Luxury, Opulent Blue, plus many more, see signature.
524 Posts
Try cleaning the IAC and the passages to it first. Usually, the thing is covered with carbon and the passages to it are clogged with carbon buildup. It's rare to have one completely fail.

Handle the plunger end of the IAC gently. I've broken a couple of them off trying to get them clean, and then you do have to replace it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts