Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
when you say gave out, what exactly do you mean? like not working at all, ABS never came on, etc....

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans
39 Posts
Very odd symptoms, possible vacuum leak? If the fluid level hasn't changed at all I would look at vacuum problems or a leaking master.

·
Registered
'05 CTS 3.6L
102 Posts
Vacuum leak would just be a loss of the power booster but failsafe to mechanical brakes so they'd work but you'd need Popeye legs to push the pedal. Air in the system could be a problem ... maybe give them a good bleeding and flush a cup through each caliper to just do a good flush and refill. I use a Motive Power Bleeder and would HIGHLY recommend it! It makes bleeding brakes a 1 man job and takes 1/4 of the time! Depending on the age of the car, brake fluid can absorb water over time (unless it is DOT5 aka silicone based) then boil off under hard braking leaving air bubbles entrapped. The only other thing I could think of would be an electrical gremlin in the ABS computer which would be evident after you scan the codes.

Good luck! Brakes are NOT something you want to have stop working!!! :eek:

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Sounds like a weak seal on the plunger between the front and rear portions of the master cylinder. Pedal will go to floor. If you pump pedal several times, you might regain your pedal. Then again, you just might run into someone if the seal is real bad.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
i agree with craigtone on this one...i believe you may have air in your brake system. when was the last time you swapped rotors or had a brake job? and people dont laugh, cause you know there are people out there who disconnect the calpiers completely when they are just changing the rotors, when there is no need too...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts