Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 2002 DHS,03 F150,90 Broughm D'E. RWD,1973 TR6
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Caddy Lovers,

My 2002 DHS with 64k.......twice in 4 weeks would not start.

Its warm running about a hour..I shut it down, went in the store came out and it turned over but would not catch..It sounded like it was vapor locked, she wanted to start but it felt like it was flooded. I tried to play with the throttle to help it...still was trying hard to run. I waited ab out 15 mins and it fired up and ran normal......Did it again today!!! Outside temp about 70
Any suggestions
Thanks
Chuck

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,580 Posts
A leaky FPR will cause hard hot starts. That sounds like your problem. Check the Tech Tips section for a tutorial. It's very easy to check.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys,

I was told by a local Caddy dealer.......

the crank sensors were an issue, this might be the problem. There was an early design and a revised one. If the early is there I should replace it at $500
This is a maybe And I do understand "if is not doing it is hard to diagnose"

What do you think??

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,580 Posts
GM did have a bad suppliers (Siemens) in Mexico from 2000 - early '03 and failures where common if not guaranteed. They will sometimes set a DTC and will also cause a stall. The new ones are made in Japan by Denso I believe and are a different color so it should be easy to tell which you have. I don't recall the colors, but Sub might if he chimes in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had the same problems on my 03 DTS for the last couple of years, replaced the fuel pump, fpr, relay, crank sensors twice and still no luck. Luckily it always starts it just takes a little longer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help... I might replace the crank sensors. How can I tell if they are the problem childs? What is the procedure?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,580 Posts
Sometimes they will set a DTC, but not always. I think there is a different color between the old and new design, but I forget what it is. I think Sub knows. Other than that, I don't think you can know for sure.

They are above the oil filter adapter which has to be removed. Get some new O rings for it when you replace it just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
This is the exact problem I was having (randomly car wouldn't start)... try giving it gas to open the throttle plate... and don't idle it. If it stays on... the problem is likely a dirty throttle plate. I have a DIY on that.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...207-cleaning-tb-iac-valve-2000-northstar.html

Something I had noticed was the gas pedal felt sticky on the closed position--I thought this was a fancy new feature (vs my 98 ETC), but it turns out it was the throttle plate sticking shut.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
According to GM only the 2000 model year cars are affected by the bad crank sensors, and even those are limited to certain VIN numbers these are listed under GM Product Emission Campaign 99085. Not all cars within these rangesa are affected (according to GM).

Sevilles made at Hammtramck with VINs between YU101752 and YU177716
Eldorados made at Hammtramck with VINs between YU102055 and YU190443
Devilles are not listed by VIN but have instructions to replace any crank sensors dated prior to 0276 (June 27th 2000?)

Looks like Sevilles and Eldos could get the replacements done by GM under a recall but not Devilles.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
According to GM only the 2000 model year cars are affected by the bad crank sensors, and even those are limited to certain VIN numbers these are listed under GM Product Emission Campaign 99085. Not all cars within these rangesa are affected (according to GM).

Sevilles made at Hammtramck with VINs between YU101752 and YU177716
Eldorados made at Hammtramck with VINs between YU102055 and YU190443
Devilles are not listed by VIN but have instructions to replace any crank sensors dated prior to 0276 (June 27th 2000?)

Looks like Sevilles and Eldos could get the replacements done by GM under a recall but not Devilles.
This never made any sense to me either. I ran into this back in 2004 on my 2000 Deville. I had 10,000 miles on it and was 6 months out of warranty. The crank sensors were bad I pointed out the fact of the Deville's were not covered by the recall but the Seville's and Eldo's were.... I got 2 dealers and Cadillac Customer Assistance Center to agree with me that the CKP sensors were the same on all 3 cars.

No one could tell me why the recall didn't affect the Deville's all they would tell me is that since I was driving a Deville it wasn't covered. I continued raising hell about this up the food chain at GM and filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

Then all of a sudden I was told that GM would pay for the the replacement of my CKP sensors as a "good will gesture".

As far as the CKP sensors being limited to the 2000 model year only...:histeric::histeric: We all know that it went way beyond the 2000 model year no matter what GM publicly fessed up to. Any CKP sensor that is brown or tan in color (made in Mexico) is subject to failure. I know firsthand that these were installed in cars as late as 2002 because they failed in my 2002 Deville at 40,000 miles. The Black or Gray ones (made in Japan) have shown to be a huge improvement.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,130 Posts
For the 2000 - 2004 Northstar here's the new CKP pair......."Made in Japan" printed on the side of the connector rim.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,580 Posts
2000 only is laughable. They acted up and where replaced under warranty on my '02 SLS at around 20K.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts