Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Escalade EXT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any special tools or difficulties in replacing the intermediate steering shaft on a 2003 seville sts? How hard of a job is it? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
Crimson Pearl 2001 STS
126 Posts
I don’t have any info in replacing it but I will be doing mine soon so this thread will be helpful to me as well. I was quoted $475 by the dealership to do the work. In addition, from an earlier thread I found that the part is about $150. Let us know your experiences if you decide to do it yourself. BTW what are your symptoms that made you decide that this is your problem.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade EXT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am getting a slight noise at slow speeds when turning the steering wheel and I can feel it through the steering wheel. I also think that it might be one a few possible things that cause the "65 mph shake".

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac STS
68 Posts
For what it's worth, I had the intermediate steering shaft issue on my 03 STS but no vibration at 60-70mph.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
I am the proud new owner of a 2001 STS, and I need one replaced as well, I got rid of my shakes with new tires and new struts and sway bar bushings. Now I want to get rid of the noisey and clunky sounding intermidiate shaft.

It does not look all that difficult, unless you need special tools.

Hopefully someone will chime in who knows.

BTW this car is awsome, I am the parts manager at a VW/Audi dealership and this car was traded in on a new A4, I scooped it up, only has 52k and well taken care of. I have to say I have never been a GM fan (I'm a die hard Blue Oval) But this car seriously is more comfortable and drives better than our A8. The engine and transmission alone are outstanding, not to mention all that performance and it delivers 27 mpg on my commute to work.

Anyway I love this car!

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
This is a good post. I was also quoted about $500 to replace mine. My only issues with mine are when it is cold out, 40*F or below, the steering column squeaks like a dying mouse.

If someone replaces this themselves, I'd love pictures, otherwise in October the dealer will be replacing mine. I can't take another winter with that noise.

·
Registered
2001 STS
14 Posts
Wasn't there a Cadillac technical service bulletin on this? I too have one that is driving me nuts on my '01 STS.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I too have a thumping/clunking sound on my 01 STS when turning the steering wheel. This appears to be a problem on several GM cars, and a new revised IS shaft is available from GM (for a price of course). There is an inexpensive grease kit available - this should fix the problem for a year or 2 - and you will have to repeat the grease application as required. Here is a copy of the GM TSB:

Steering - Steering Column Clunk Felt/Heard on Turns
Bulletin No.: 06-02-35-010
Date: May 09, 2006
TECHNICAL Subject:
Clunk Felt/Noise Heard From Steering Column, Steering Gear and/or Front of Vehicle During Maneuver and/or Steering Wheel Rotation (Replace Intermediate Shaft)
Models:
2001-2004 Cadillac Seville - with RPO JL4 (Active handling - on my baby)
2001-2003 Oldsmobile Aurora
2000-2005 Pontiac Bonneville
Attention: This bulletin ONLY applies to the above listed vehicles. All other cars with a similar condition should refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-02-32-001G.
Condition:
Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle while driving during a turning maneuver. This condition may also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Some vehicles may only exhibit the noise once for every 360°of wheel rotation. On all other vehicles, this clunk noise will be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel.
Cause:
This condition may be caused by inadequate lubrication of the steering intermediate shaft which results in a slip stick condition possibly resulting in the clunk noise.
Diagnostic Tip
Important: This condition is commonly misdiagnosed as originating in the steering gear and has resulted in the replacement of numerous steering gears without correcting the concern.
Engineering Investigation shows that numerous steering gears have been misdiagnosed and replaced. The investigations shows that if the technician incorrectly diagnoses the steering gear as the cause of the noise and/or clunk during replacement of the steering gear, the technician may stroke and/or cycle the I-shaft, distributing the original grease in the I-shaft. This distribution of the original I-shaft grease temporarily may eliminate the I-shaft clunk so that the technician believes the noise and/or clunk is corrected with the steering gear replacement and returns the vehicle to the customer. After the customer drives the vehicles for several miles and dissipates the original grease, the noise may return.
Attempt to duplicate the customer's concern and isolate the I-shaft by following the procedure below:
1. Locate a large area (parking lot) where the vehicle can be turned in a tight circle.
2. Turn the steering wheel to the right and/or left all the way to the steering lock, then off the steering lock a 1/4 turn.
3. Drive the vehicle approximately 5 km/h (3 mph) in a circle, preferably over rough pavement or seams on the road surface.
4. If a clunk is felt in the steering wheel, the MOST likely cause is the I-shaft - not the steering gear. Continue with the correction.
Correction
Important: The replacement steering intermediate shaft is physically different in appearance than the original. However, the vehicle's ride performance will not be affected.
Replace the original concentric style steering shaft with P/N 26068295, a Double "D" design. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement in SI.

Shaft, Intermediate Shaft, Steering

MG.......

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Has anyone had good luck with this. I have found it absolutely necessary to wipe out as much grease as possible, then hose it out with parts cleaner and work it in and out repeatedly and - you know - lather rinse repeat sort of thing. Then blow it out with air. You can do this by extending it, covering the hole, then cramming it together quickly. You'll eventually have it dry inside. Now fill it with engine oil (seriously) and push it together slowly with the hole covered. Do this until oil is running out the other end and then repeat this last part using BG motorcylce chain lube (honestly). When all GM service bulletins fail, make up your own. Customers expect results not explanations so I find what works best. The newest design shaft, however, looks like it will be a lasting fix.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
I was looking at one of those links with the images. How does this shaft function? Does it extend in and out when the wheel is turned? Looking at the pictures I can't figure out how mine would make the noise it does.

Just trying to understand how it all works. Thanks...

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
It extends and retracts to allow body to frame movement. When the grease is old, dried up or generally not doing what it should do, the shaft does not slide freely so you get a pop.

·
Registered
873 Posts
While I don't get quite the popping, I do have what feels like a dry rubbing feeling. Does it just need lubed?

Do you have the updated part # by chance?

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
It extends and retracts to allow body to frame movement. When the grease is old, dried up or generally not doing what it should do, the shaft does not slide freely so you get a pop.
Exactly... Common Problem!

You can try the grease method... Originally GM recommended that this was the appropriate fix for this problem. However, the greasers will have to admit that this fix is temporary. The "pop" will return in as short as six months usually within a year or two.

GM redesigned the shaft and are now recommending that the shaft be replaced (or at least they did last time I looked.. this could have changed again).

Once the steering column is out the shaft is not hard to replace and while this is NOT what I would call an easy job, it can be done with a decent socket set.

BTW the new shaft is a lovely piece... (my 02 has one) it looks like it is machined out of polished chromium, and it is as slippery as a greased pig.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
No,

Mine was done by the dealer under warranty, but I did re&re my steering column when my steering sensor went bad. Once the column is out the shaft is basically one bolt away from being removed too...

Remove the steering column,
raise and support the car,
Remove driver's side wheel,
Remove pinch bolt
Remove intermediate shaft...

As I said, once the column is out it is not all that hard... And I got my column out with a basic socket set.

·
Registered
2002 STS
47 Posts
Yea, me and my buddy did this ourselves, the colinskraft link posted earlier is what we used, quotes 2 hours or so, we did it in less time, the only hard thing was attatching the bottom back on after being lubed.... it worked very well but I only did it because I wouldve had to pay like $400 in parts alone because I cant order from GM parts direct and had to go to a dealer... I heard you can do this twice i beleive before it should be replaced....

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yea, me and my buddy did this ourselves, the colinskraft link posted earlier is what we used, quotes 2 hours or so, we did it in less time, the only hard thing was attatching the bottom back on after being lubed.... it worked very well but I only did it because I wouldve had to pay like $400 in parts alone because I cant order from GM parts direct and had to go to a dealer... I heard you can do this twice i beleive before it should be replaced....
What did you lube it with? Motor Oil?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts